Scag Turf Tiger's Difference 06 vs 07

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottm1, Oct 21, 2007.

1. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

My dealer has 2 Turf Tigers left this year. One is an 2007 27 hp liquid cooled Kawasaki 61" cut, and the other one is a left over 2006 29 hp liquid cooled Kawasaki 61" cut. Both are brand new. I have a 2007 sales brochure, but I was wondering if there were any changes between the 06 and 07 models that would make the 06 different than what the brochure says in any way. THe reason I ask is that the 2006 29 hp is actually priced lower than the 2007 27 hp. I understand the 06 should be priced less if they were exactly the same except for the year, but I would think the higher horsepower would more than make up for that. I am concerned there maybe was something on the 2006 29 horsepower models that was improved in 07 making other potetial buyers shy away from the 06 leaving it sitting there. Anybody aware of such a thing, or should go for the older and bigger for $400.00 less money?

2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Does both mowers have the velocity deck? I think 06 was a trasition year for the velocity plus deck from the advantage deck. I would ask the dealer about the newer kaw engines to see if anything has changed as far as how many ccs they have now. And is the carburation different? The 23,27,and 29 hp kawasaki engine all have 745 ccs. The difference in horespower is the carbs. Also look and see if they have the same options. Pump size,seat,hitch,stripe kit, lights, and can you still get the full factory warrant on the 06 model? You can't go wrong with either mower in my opinion. GOOD LUCK!

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the 29 a DFI? I didn't know they offered that size w/ a carb.

4. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

In 07 the 29hp mowers are fuel injected, but I am not sure if 06's were. That is sort of my question. I have an 07 brochure, but this is one I am looking at is an 06 model..................... Can you tell the difference between the Velocity deck and the Advantage by just looking at the top of it? In other words is there an obvious appearance difference between the two at eye level.

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Just read the front top of the deck. The velocity is labeled. Also it will be longer, front to back, than the advantage deck. If it really is an '06 it will have the velocity deck.

The 29dfi kawi has been out for a few years. If it is a 27 kawi, then it's carbeurated.

Good luck.

6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

The velocity deck will have a bigger discharge opening. Its the 23 liqiud and 27 liquid kawasaki engines that are the same except their carbs. I have heard the 29 is a hoss of a motor. Same ccs as 23 and 27 just set up with fuel injection. I have the 23 liquid cooled and it does great. I can't imagine what the 29 runs like. :weightlifter:

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

There should be little or no differences between the 06 and 07. Both should have the adjustable control levers, an adjustable foot pedal, the 29 efi should have a "standard" full suspension seat. Both should say Velocity Plus on the front of the deck. The going price in most of the country for a 29efi Turf Tiger should be $10,300-$10,500 though they may be marked higher. I am guessing that a 27 hp would be closer to $9,000 (just a guess). The suspension seat is a $500 option on a 27 hp. All else being the same I would jump on the 29efi at the same price or less regardless.

Now that I've said that, my dealer (no longer) sold me an 06 Turf Tiger with a 31 hp Briggs, old style control arms, and a standard seat. Great price at around $8,000. But I got to looking at the web site and noticed that all 06 models 29 hp and above had a standard suspension seat, adjustable control levers, digital tach, and the 31hp was not available in 06. I called Scag with the serial # s and found out it was an 05 model tractor with an 06 Velocity deck installed. So I called the dealer (not happy) and he said he was unaware of the mistake so I showed him the email from Scag. He started stuttering and called the distributor who said he was unaware it was an 05 but they started being real nice. Before I knew it they had the suspension seat($500 option) and foldable roll bars installed and apologized. (that was all I asked for at $,8,000) They were really worried that word would get out that they sold me an older Scag and claimed it was an 06. They offered me my money back but at around $8,000 is was still a great deal, I just didn't like them lying about it. I'm very happy with it and saved a couple of grand but I won't go back to the dealer for obvious reasons. I have bout everything an 06 has except the adjustable handles and digital tach. I said all that to tell you to be careful. There have been no changes on the Scag website for the 06 07 model that I have seen. Hope this helps.

8. tacoma200

In a few years the 29 efi will have a higher resale value even with a years difference in model and you will probably love that engine. Both are good engines though.

9. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Thanks again Tacoma. I will save this info so I can check out this 06 carefully to make sure it really is an 06 model. I now know what to look for on the Velocity deck, and that all 06 29 hp mowers have the suspension seat, but I am not quite sure what the difference is between the old style controls and the new style controls are exactly.

10. tacoma200

Here is a picture of the adjustable handles and ajustable foot pedal that should be standard on 06 and up models. The 29 hp will run 12 mph and the 27 hp 10.5. What are the prices, sounds like if they are the same you get so much more with the 29 efi. All newer models should have a digital tach. Good luck, we're here to help if we can.

Scag controls.jpg

Scag adjustable foot pedal.jpg