1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Turfrunner sluggish after hosedown

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Billymac, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Billymac

Billymac LawnSite Member

Hi there.

I cleaned up my Scag Turfrunner with water, and now it is sluggish under load i.e. when mowing anything more than short grass. I suspect damp electrics may be the problem. I dont yet know much about the machine; can anyone give me some quick pointers? It has the Kohler 22hp fitted.

Many thanks.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it is a good idea to wash off equipment too many different things bad can happen. Any chance you got water in the air cleaner? Is sluggish mean engine won't rev up? Or is engine running full bore and deck not running full speed? Clean up machines with compressed air.
  3. Billymac

Billymac LawnSite Member

I'm learning my lesson and will revert to compressed air for cleaning. The engine revs fine, just when the deck goes through some longer grass, the blades slow, taking the engine down with it. I suspect there might be dampness in the coils; apparently this Kohler design is prone to that, I've just been told.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you could have washed some sand (grit) into the carb. throttle shaft or governor shaft causing the governor to hang up. With the engine off and throttle control at idle grab the governor arm and see if it moves freely, Spray some type penetrating oil/ Lubricant on both shafts and all the control linkage pivot points then move the governor arm up and down to work it in.
  5. Billymac

Billymac LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply. The linkages etc seem to be moving freely. I've given everything a spray with WD40. I'm using the machine today so we'll see how it goes, hopefully dried up over the weekend. No water in the air filter either.
    Cheers, Billy
  6. Billymac

Billymac LawnSite Member

Problem solved - gave it a good spray with WD40, and apart from the first few minutes, is now running great again.