Scag v. Kubota and pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcp, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jcp

jcp LawnSite Member

Considering purchase of first zero turn and have narrowed down to Scag Turf Tiger
    STT61V w/29 hp Kawasaki or Kubota ZD326P w/26 hp Kubota. Would appreciate advice on which model you prefer and why. Also, approximately what bottom line
    price for a straight purchase should I expect.

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

why not consider a Turf Tiger with the 25hp Kubota or 28hp CAT?

Those sell for $13500-$14000

3. tb8100

from TX

Sorry, i'm on my phone and it submitted by accident. the Turf Tiger has a much faster overall speed, better warranty, quad rail frame, a lower center of gravity, shaft drive deck, and more. I could go on and on with the differences. Just run a search on here and you'll see all the happy Turf Tiger owners. Either diesel engine is a good choice. If you're hoping to get a dealer down on the price, it's going to depend on the dealer and how long they've had the mower really.

4. tb8100

from TX

just looked, the Kubota is a shaft drive, so it's comparable at least in that regard.

5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

.......Maybe because the ZD326 can be purchased new for around $10,000.00. Keep in mind though, the Kubota machine is VERY heavy - 1700lbs.+. Unless you are mowing wide-open areas, this machine can/will tear-up some turf. This is the ONLY reason I sold my ZD331. :usflag:

6. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

FWIW - I got a 326P for $11k, with 0% financing for 3.5 years. Not a bad deal. Shaft drive, hydro deck lift, hydro blade clutch, built in jack for raising the front end, lot of nice features. It is a heavy mother, so you don't really want to be spinning on one wheel. It runs great and cuts very clean.

7. tb8100

from TX

That's not bad, but they are lacking in some key features. No adjustable baffling on the deck, no foot assist for a quick deck lift or "feathering" either.

What kind of deck spindles do they have? Cast aluminum or cast iron housings? Tapered or ball bearings? How thick is the mounting flange? Is the deck 7 gauge all over or is it reinforced at all (especially around the spindle area)? The Velocity Plus also has nearly full width rollers on the back of the deck, though I like the swivel rollers on the ZD.

No suspension seat on the ZD300s either.

Scag has 0% for 36mo.

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

They have a HYDRAULIC deck lift - very quick. As far as the deck construction, two large men WILL struggle to lift it off the ground - the ENTIRE deck is 7 gauge steel. www.kubota.com for specific deck construction. :usflag:

9. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for that post,.......... someone needs to learn more about a machine before they start talking turkey. The Kubota is far superior machine than many other on the market. How misleading can you be tb8100.

10. tb8100

from TX

I'm not misleading, thank you for the insult. Would you care to share with Lawnsite the superior features of the Kubota mower that make it so much better than anything else it there?

If you want to talk about misleading, Kubota's site does not even mention anything about the deck spindles, or how they're constructed. Why is that?

I invite you to check out http://www.scag.com/turftiger.html and read about why Scag is better in virtually every respect, including a much better warranty. Read about the spindle construction, the frame construction, the types of pulleys used, the PTO clutch (versus a transmission....), a separate pump and wheel motor configuration, the top speed of the machine, etc.

Note things like the ultra low center of gravity, which Kubota can't even touch. The Scag is an ultra-refined all conditions mower, something Kubota can't brag about yet. They're alot better than they used to be, but they're still not up to par with companies like Exmark and Scag.