1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag V-Ride - any opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BestImpressions99, Mar 30, 2010.

1. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all,

Have any of you actually gotten to put their hands on the new V-Ride or is it still in development?

What's your opinion on the machine? With the reputation Scag's deck has, it'll probably be awesome.

2. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

We have sold every one we have gotten in before we put them togather. So I have not had a ton of time to put some hours on them. But the guys who bought them from us love them. The cut is amazing and ride quality is great! I say the ones that we are able to get in here are sold just as fast as they come off the truck.

3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Rode one at my dealers open house. I don't have any experience with standers but this machine was awsome. Very comfortable and had great controls. Even a first timer can jump on and in just a minute or so learn the controls. I peronally think these mowers will take off.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

My opinion is, I want one bad but can't afford it right now. :cry: I hate that kinda feeling. :dizzy:
    Man what a beauty. :D[​IMG]

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

When my dealer can get one, I'll have one. When that is, is hard to say. Scag I don't think realized how many they were going to sell. The distributor carries Wright and the Scag also in this area and the rep says the Scags are selling unbelievably.

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I was just dissapointed in the length of the machine. Almost a foot longer than Wright, Toro Grandstand, and Exmarks stander. Trailer space is a key for me.

7. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Buy a bigger trailer! Problem solved!

8. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

The frame looks a bit small in my opinion. There may never be a problem with it but it looks to small for a commercial machine.

9. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Scag is 65.5"s. This is comparing 48" decks that are floating (Stander RH) and platforms up. So 7.5"s is the biggest difference, mainly because of Scags deck design (which is also one of the reason a person would choose the Scag).

Another words if you carried 3 mowers you would need an extra 2 ft in trailer space. Of course this is if you currently filling your trailer tight front and back.

Or you could always turn them side ways on the trailer and the deck size is smaller than any of the mower lengths if you are that worried about trailer space. Then it wouldn't make a world of difference between brands.

10. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

I honestly have never seen anything but a Great Dane in person. But if pictures say a thousand words the larger rear tires on the Toro and the Wright seem like it would be more stable on the hills with larger guys on it (but maybe it's just a mind thing). I know Scag and Toro (at least Toro used to be) have the best cut around so Scag is going to make others have step up the deck quality.

Jaybow - isn't size minimalization what companies and LCO's looking for? More space utilization. I tell ya what, the Surfer definitely looks very small for a commercial machine.