Scag V-Ride. How are they on hills?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Aug 18, 2011.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Replacing one of my Turf Tracers (60 inch). I'd like to buy a V-Ride instead of a WB. My concern is hills. I don't have anything too steep.

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone ever use one of these on hills?

3. Jwengerd

Jwengerd LawnSite Member

If you can hang on they will climb any hill, and come down well too but if your trying diagonal lines you better hang on cause the motors release and your goin for a wild ride:laugh:.

4. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

The only way to find out is try one.

I demoed one last year at the dealer... tried some hills along the interstate next to his shop.... brought it back in a short while.... never even engaged the blades.

But then again that's just my opinion!! And I LOVE Scag... but not these.

5. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We have three and have had no problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

can you step off of the scag v rides and continue mowing for a short time or is it strictly a stander?

7. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Vride is not a good replacement for a walk behind, I also use turf tracers and in the spring I wanted to replace them with Vrides so I got a demo, it was not very good on hills at all. Yeah it will climb straight up but it wont go up diagonal and it wont turn on a hill. I also didnt like standing that high.

8. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

Henry, have you considered a Grand Stand from Toro? I haven't had any of the problems the other gentlemen have had with my GS. Don't get me wrong, if I could splice the Scag deck onto a Toro GrandStand... I WOULD.

Keep a walk behind for super steep hills (you may bid on later). On hills my Toro when in WB mode is to light and slides around. I know you were talking about Scag specifically but the GS is a stander.