Scag V-Ride Purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGuysNC, Jun 19, 2010.

1. GreenGuysNC

GreenGuysNC LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new 48/24 Scag V-Ride and was going to post a long review about it but I figured I would just post a pic of a yard we did yesterday and answer any questions about it after that.

[​IMG]

2. GreenGuysLC

GreenGuysLC LawnSite Senior Member

Nice Name! lol Green Guys Lawn Care . . Alabama Style

3. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Wanting to trade my WB for one of these this fall or winter. Dont know what deck 48 or 52. Kinda wish it could be used as a WB also. Hope they put anti scalp wheels on it front and rear would also be nice. Tested one this spring and really like it better than the Toro I also tested that day.

4. GreenGuysNC

HAHA. Full name is Green Guys Landscapes. Good name to you as well.

It does have anti scalp wheels on the front and rear. I would get the 48". It performs just fine as a 48", but I think the 52" would scalp a lot more on the sides of the deck. However I have only used the 48". JMO Also, I haven't investigated this yet, but I have been told that you can disable the switch on the platform the you could fold up the back portion and it wouldn't be bad at all to walk behind occasionally.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

the 52 does scalp

6. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

does it hold hills any better then the current stand on mowers? wright, Dane, Exmark/Toro

7. GreenGuysNC

I had a great dane super surfer before this and it holds far better. I was able to mow some banks I couldn't so before on friday. I will post some pictures of it on here when I get a chance
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

the wrights are better than all of them, but the scag and toro do a very good job on banks, the others are no where near those three.

9. CandC Lawn Care

CandC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Where did you purchase yours at? I live in marion. just wondering.

10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I got the 48" and it works great. For the scalping comments, I would say that if you know how to mow you won't have problems. Outer anti scalp wheels could help in very rare conditions but if you know the contours of the lawn and know how to mow it's not needed.

For the banks it holds well and you can either bungee the platform slightly down to bypass the safety switch to walk behind it. Personally I think it holds a hill better with a person on it because of the weight.

The platform suspension is great for the operators knees and hips.

And the best feature that the other standers don't have is the great cut of the deck.

According to the Scag/Wright Rep (does both) the Scag is out selling the Wrights in my region. Not really switching customers from another brand just the Scag owners have waited for it to come out and buying them up.