Scag V-Ride Review (pics included)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DLAWNS, Aug 29, 2010.

1. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

haha:laugh:

Demhustler--Do me a favor and keep your ramblings in some other thread. This has been a great and informative thread with input by a lot of people so don't get it deleted by calling people stupid....and for the love of God use multiqoute instead of posting like 4 times instead of 1 or 2.

2. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

Dlawns, do yourself a favor - multiquote button doesn't mean you have to use it every time you see it; :laugh:
    but anyway - you did me a favor, and combined a lot of questions in one post - that's good, thanks for that

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

no problem

4. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

8k would be my guess!

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I agree that the V-ride holds the hills well but I still think it doesn't hole them "well enough"...at least for out applications. We demoed a 52" with I believe the 25 or 23 horse kohler on it from our dealer.

A little background. We run three mowers. 61" TT, 48" Scag SWZU, and a gear driven SCAG 36" for a few gated yards we maintain. I only have the 48" walk behind because my TT won't hold some hills and for those that already own a TT you know it holds a hill really really well. The reason for demoing the V-ride 52" was to replace the 48 WB and be an additional mower that can sortof keep pace with the 61TT.

Simply put, it can't (for our hills) hold a hill that our 48" WB can. the cut was great, it was comfortable, easy to maintain. Double cutting was eliminated in the tall wet spring growth. Everything about it was great and I was going to pull the trigger and purchase...but it simply did not hold the hill my WB could and I couldn't justify the purchase. Going up the hill forget about it, the front end was lifting way off the ground. going sideways the ass end would slip out and turning at the end of the run it would tear the turf up bad. Just my two cents through personal experience.

6. demhustler

if walk it on those hills - would it help? or it would be awkward and hard to hold the hill?

7. demhustler

btw. 4 more info: thread "My V-Ride 36 Mods" here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=330323

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think you can get off the V-ride wihtout it shutting down. If I recall there was a safety switch on there to prevent this.

Also, why would I purchase a mower for 7 grand that I have to get off to walk behind the unit...I already have one of those:laugh:

9. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

You can get off the mower while it's running... just put the parking brake on and turn off the PTO!

You would have to over ride the operator's switch if you wanted to "walk it" on a hill etc.
    It could easily be done, but then it's not as safe!!!

10. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

walking behind a stand on is a stupid idea! once you get off, the mower loses a lot of traction, especially on a hill!