Scag V-Ride Review (pics included)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DLAWNS, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Paul's Green Thumb

Paul's Green Thumb LawnSite Member

Yeah rvl, I pretty much decided to buy this machine due to all the positive reviews I've read (mostly on this excellent website :D). The area I live and plan to work in, most yards are 1/4 - 1/2 acre, lots of fences. So I figure, I got the Honda 21" hydro and now the 36" V-Ride, I should be able to meet 99% of my first-year workload, no worries. The last major purchase will be a 6x10 enclosed trailer, and then that's it for equipment... for now... :rolleyes:

I really feel that I made the right brand choice, and the right size choice for my needs :)

I'll bet that 52" rocks it!

2. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

I loved my 36 last year but I'm looking forward to mowing this year with the 52 a lot most of our yard around here are about the same size.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. keithslawnc

keithslawnc LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 61" V-Ride. 7395 before tax. Three years 0% interest

4. Paul's Green Thumb

Paul's Green Thumb LawnSite Member

Sweet! V-Ride brotherhood! Lolz :)

5. thelawnman

thelawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Now the 48 is over 8k

6. Judo

Judo LawnSite Member

Only paid $7600 for ours back in September of this year.

7. thelawnman

thelawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I got told $8100 today for one
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Judo

Judo LawnSite Member

There was some fleet pricing program. Got mine from Steel City Mower and Plow in Pittsburgh.

9. snow4me

snow4me LawnSite Member
    Male, from Barrington IL

I ended up buying a used 2012 61 V-ride and a 2011 61 Cheetah. I side discharged everything on both units after removing the flap and both machines worked great. I was even able to mow at high speed (16mph) on some properties that are not too uneven after middle of June.

For smaller properties I bought a new Scag 36 V-ride. That machine works well but I did notice that the tires are not wide enough so it does rut a bit when its wet and because I weigh 230# it tears on tight turns so I get off flip up the platform and walk behind it. I wish the tires were flatter and wider as the stock ones tend to be more roundish than what I see on similar Wright machines.

For fall cleanups I installed the hurricane mulch kit on my 61 V-ride and a Clamshell collection system on my Cheetah. I run over lawns one time with my V-ride (2x along beds where I blow out large concentrations of leaves) and then 1x time with the Cheetah sucking up leaves.

I went to a 1 acre property to do a leaf cleanup and there was a 3 -man crew already working next door when I got there. They were blowing leaves onto a tarp and loading them into a large covered dump like tree guys use to chip into. Then they had a guy with a 48" Wright with a metal side bagger mowing and collecting the straggler leaves. I was done in under 2 hours and those guys were still working next door when I left. One of the hispanic workers was looking at me with a dumbfounded look on his face as I smiled waved and drove away. FYI- I am a solo LCO. :cool2::cool2:

10. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Love the setup! What did you do with the leaves in the clamshell? How do you like the mulch system and clamshell?
    Posted via Mobile Device