1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag V-Ride Review (pics included)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DLAWNS, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Osu1997

Osu1997 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any idea on what the pricing will be on the 61" model???

2. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

What size accelerator would be appropriate for a 48" V-ride? Especially just for tidying up leaf fragments after mulching? Can it handle the jumbo like ZTR's?

Also, what is the reputation for mulching with that particular Scag deck?

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

That price sounds pretty good to me. I believe my dealer quoted me $7700 for the 48" and $7900 for the 52". He said he could probably get that a bit lower, but that was the list price I believe....

4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

How responsive are the controls/hydros in comparison to say like a tthp.

I ask this because the one Scag I demoed..tt28/60 was very sluggish in responsiveness in comparison to my lazer.

Looks like a badass mower.

5. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

They seemed plenty responsive to me. It was just as quick to respond as my Toro Z and to be honest any of the mowers I have ran. Hope that helps a little..

6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

thanks man...I'll have to try one of those out one day if I get the opportunity...Never seen one in person yet.

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

No problem dude...I hadn't either, but so glad I demoed it. Let us know what ya think when ya try one out...

8. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Average prices in Virginia...
    36" V-Ride $6350
    48" V-Ride $6650
    52" V-Ride $6950

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad you posted that. That's about what they are where I am also. I don't know what I was thinking saying they were over $7000. I'm a little slow.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I was visiting a friend today northwest of Baltimore, Maryland... in the sticks.

There is a Scag dealer near him, so we went over to look at the new V-Ride.
    NONE, NADA, ZIP! I asked the salesperson why he didn't carry the V-Ride (he did have the ExMark standon) and he told me "no body is asking for them"!
    WHAT!!??? In Northern Virginia, one of our Scag dealers sells all that he can get! I know this as a fact, because I'll be there on a Monday, and they have just received 1 or 2 units in the Scag crates... they build them, and by Thursday they are gone!!
    He did try to sell me a ExMark unit... but several things turned me off about the ExMark Vantage unit.
    1. The platform is REALLY bouncy!! I thought that I would need dramamine for motion sickness. It's one thing to smooth out the bumps, but you have to control the bounce... it moves TOO much!
    2. The deck doesn't float! The deck and the engine are also on the same platform! They move as a single solid unit.
    3. The Kawasaki engine on it is the "FS Series".
    FS is a "consumer" engine with a 500 hour CARB rating. Scag uses the Kawasaki "FX" series engines... which is a "commercial" grade engine with a 1000 hour CARB rating.
    4. It comes with a consumer foam air filter.

What I DID like about the unit (as compared to the Scag V-Ride)
    1. Gas tank weight is centered with the front of the unit. (rather than being on one side)
    2. Operator Presence Switch - the right side motion control is spring loaded. If you let go of it, it springs up, stopping the blades!
    3. Better "Info Meter" giving you "hours and diagnostics" of issues that might arise.

ExMark Vantage 52".jpg