Scag V-Ride Review (pics included)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DLAWNS, Aug 29, 2010.

1. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Nice review on the Vantage! I wanted to demo that and the Toro Grandstand also just to compare all the major brands of standers, but my dealer has been having a hard time getting demo units.

2. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Bill,
    I think that the only differences between the 2 of them NOW, is the deck. Toro has it's flavor and ExMark has the Ultra Cut.

Early on the other main difference was that Toro used a gas shock as part of the deck lift system that kept blowing... then ExMark fixed the issue when they introduced the Vantage... now I think that they both have the new and improved lift system.

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Gotcha....cool. I appreciate the info. I think the general consensus is that the Scag might have just built the best stand on unit right now! I am sold on it. As soon as I sell my mower I will have one of these!

4. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

MY PERSONAL OPINION:

When looking for a STANDER, what I've noticed is 2 different types of engineering.

2 examples I'll share are:

John Deere Quik Trak... very well engineered stander. It has a nice wide stance and everything is tucked away as far as linkages, wires etc. It uses body panels to hide all of the "mechanicals". This makes for a very nice looking machine, but maybe slightly more difficult to repair or make adjustments... but it LOOKS GOOD!!! Nothing to snag anything on.

Scag V-Ride: Still a VERY good engineered standon, but all of the linkages, wires etc are exposed!
    It's what I would call "In your face engineering"!
    You see everything from wires to levers to all of the mechanicals!

Now, I'm not saying that either one is better than the other... I just wish that more products were designed like the JD Quik Trak for the clean cut look of it.

Sometimes customers do not like a large piece of equipment on their lawns, I think that sometimes they don't like something that looks all mechanical either... and yes, I know that it's just perception, but when it comes to your bottom line, a customer's perception IS reality.

5. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

The closest thing I can even get to demo'ing a V-ride is the local dealer can have SCAG come out and let me run it on a few lawns... I need it for more than an hour on one or two lots. I could take it to my roughest ones... but I'd rather be able to keep the Vantage for 3 days (which I can do through my exmark dealer here).

6. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36 V-Ride with about 100 hours on it that my crew uses. After just a few days I took the 80 lbs of weight bolted under the front of the mower, the big pad, and the fold down platform extension.

Removing the big pad allows the rider to get closer to the center of the axle area (yes I know it's not an axle). Removing the fold down ramp makes the operator stay closer axle. The further behind the axle you get the more unstable the mower becomes (light in the front). Removing the 80 lbs or so bolted under the front saves fuel and makes cross cutting a hill much easier. The mower doesn't want to nose dive down the hill as much. My mowers has probably lost 100 lbs.

I just wish the operating controls were pushed forward about 8" so the operators weight could be forward of the axle area a little bit more. This would also allow the operator to lean forward on up hill mows. Still a good mower and I've sent Scag my ideas. I'm waiting for Scag to send me my check for two cents.

It's great to be able to step off the mower without having to waste time locking any safety devices or putting the brake on. Plus the brake actually works great. On the two Scag 36 SWZU mowers I have the brakes rods push down and flex which is a bad design. The V-Rides brake lever pulls up so there's no flex and the brakes actually work. Plus having one lever for height adjust is heaven compared to having four pins on the SWZU's.

Scag was pretty slow getting to the stand on party but they might just have the best machine.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

One very very important thing in comparing the standers is serviceability. Scag looks like they might have come out best on that aspect. I run Wright units and they are very very difficult to work on. The Toro/exmark look like they would have some problem. One of those units had 8 interlocks and if you can't get to them that would be real bad. Scag has cornered the market in our area almost zero of other units.

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Serviceability is very important. I did not even think to mention that. I'm glad to hear that is another area where the Scag does well! It's funny there are not too many Scags in my area but the people that have them seem to love them...

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I finally got it....Scag V-Ride 52"..here's some pics....don't kill me on the stripes...still getting the hang of it....

024.jpg

036.jpg

042.jpg

051.jpg

055.jpg

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

a couple more...

056.jpg

060.jpg