Scag V-Ride Review (pics included)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DLAWNS, Aug 29, 2010.

1. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

G. what is your like/dislike?

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i did not like the knee pad, although i know it can be adjsuted, if felt like it pushed you back too far if that makes sense. i have a size 12 ft and i need that room!! also, the odd combination of starting and shutting down process. i cant remember now, but it was not natural at all and different from like every other mower. it did hower seem to hold the small hill i took it on well, but i have no idea about a serious incline and doubt it. the front end is long to accomodate the velocity deck, which it has to be, but because of this it is easier to scalp with any scag due to the wheel base to work with such a deep length deck.

i do however like the controls on the Vride much better than the grandstands, but the wrights are the best but could use a bit more padding

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed it for about a week and half and only used it for a day since I just bought it but I haven't had that problem. If anything my calves and hammies are a little tight after using it Wednesday all day but I'm sure that's because my legs just aren't used to it.

Did you read the last line of in the link that you provided? Despite a few minor problems(in his opinion) he still thinks it is the best stand on! "Scag was pretty slow getting to the stand on party but they might just have the best machine."

Here was my answer about the hills....I don't have any really huge hills to worry about, but I have a few slopes that my Z or my Navigator always slip on and the V-Ride handled it like a pro. I made sure to use it on those lawns to see the difference and it was 10 times better than my other mowers. Hopefully someone that deals with some bigger hills will have some better input.

Maybe no one else has that much experience with huge hills.

Grassman--That's funny. I find myself barely even touching the knee pad. I definitely agree about the startup procedure. I didn't even think about it until you said it. It definitely is unnatural. I'm thinking over time I'll get used to it, but i agree it is very weird! Some of my "terrain" is very uneven but I would say most of it is relatively flat. I haven't seen any scalping issues at all. I cut mostly fescue and bluegrass if that matters. What are you cutting?

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

When I demoed the Scag, I specifically took it on some fairly steep hills. It held them well. It did not hold them as good as my Wright did (I tried it just after) but it did do well. I don't think anything can top the Wright - regular machines that is.

I also didn't like the fact with the Scag that the controls were so near to your body. I like them out a bit so that your hands don't tire so quickly. Also, with the controls so near, you don't have much leverage if you hit something and stop quickly. They put the handles right on level with my pubic bone and I am not really excited about that sort of feeling.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we cut fescue and bluegrass too, but developers love to make berms and stupid hadr to mow drainage areas that the vride 52in just like you have does poorly on, i know as my competitor does the same Hoa i did for years (cheap prices) and it is not very pretty using the same scag you have compared to our wright standers hugging the terrian better for a smoother cut.

the velicity deck however is a fav or mine for cut quality and clipping dispersal

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I understand your point! I love the clipping dispersal too...

7. demhustler

on toro grandstand (and exmark) standing position even farther back (sentar sitting position too) - so, how scag in comparison;
    also - how forward position on feris evo feels compare to all above?

8. regl

regl LawnSite Member

I like standing better than sitting most of the time. For years I've been using a tthp with pro-slide. It works great for me because I can ride or, when needed, step off and walk. My question about the standers is, can you step off and walk behind them?

9. demhustler

what was differences exactly in holding hill? (lets just try to find out)

tire size, mower weight, hp, deck size - comparable? (traction on tires about the same)?

when it start go nose down - which machine easier to straighten up bask?
    simple test for hillside stability: which one have more traction on tires (and control) going uphill backwards? (or which one will loose traction first?)

10. demhustler

"Faster turns" - is it size matter or does same size(weight) ztr would turn slower than stendon? does sitting or standing makes the difference?

----------
    how scag compares to other standons and riders in regard of turf damage on turns? (u-turns, pivot,3-point turns, etc)