1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag V Ride VS. Toro Grandstand - The Rundown

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GroundWorkx, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to the family, I think you'll like your 52, ours really goes through some grass fast, plenty of power for sure,we have a full mulch kit on our 40" but not on the 52" thinking of making the change though.
  2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

You all mulch lush/juicy/TALL Spring growth on a weekly basis?
    I can see how mulching 'might' work from mid-June on...but Apr and May weekly mulch-mow's would be a disaster around here...let alone morning dew that eventually burns off.
    I know you must reduce your forward speed AND cut/mulch TALL(??)......and as much as I HATE bagging, I think I'd rather bag than mulch in the Spring.
    Please share your secrets! Maybe mulch-mowing every 3-4 days instead of weekly in the Spring??
  3. cpllawncare

The secret is stay on top of your schedule and hopefully long periods of rain won't get you messed up, like it did for us last year.
  4. arkansas502

arkansas502 LawnSite Member

I have one mower ( Gravely 48inch wb ) that is open discharge. All my other mowers have mulch kits on them. I mulch yards year round. I pull the gravely off if it is real high or wet, other than that it stays on the trailer. Around here its mainly bermuda and it looks perfect with a mower with mulch kit on it. I cut 99 percent of my residential account at 3 to 3.5 inches and IMO they look great. Last year I picked up more accounts while mowing than I did with all that money I spent on advertising. I absolutely love leaving a residence and thinking damn that looks good.
  5. arkansas502

Most of my accounts are set up on 7 to 10 day cuts. I have maybe 8 or 10 that I do biweekly. Im not a big fan of biweekly and dont really offer it. The ones I do have, I've had for a while.
  6. arkansas502

This is another reason I ended up with the Toro. I have a couple friends that run big operations and thats what they run all year. They start early in the morning and even with moderate morning dew those toros with mulch kits leave a very nice cut.
  7. fobaum

fobaum LawnSite Senior Member

Iv'e been using gator g6 for almost 3 years. on the 36'' i have g6's and g5's on 60'' GS They cut great in all conditions pouring rain etc.. I think the g6 blade is the greatest innovation in mower blades ever period....
  8. arkansas502

Are you buying them online or from your dealer? If online what site are you buying them from? Thanks
  9. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Are these G5 and G6 blades Oregon blades?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. cpllawncare

The G-6 is an oregon bade I've looked in the oregon catalog and can't find a part number for the GS's?