scag--vanguard or kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by foyman, Feb 4, 2008.

1. foyman

foyman LawnSite Member

I'm very close to ordering a scag tiger cub. Am having a very difficult time choosing between the 19hp Kawasaki(48", $6,900) and the 23hp Vanguard(52", $7100). Mower will be used for mowing 2-3 acres of rolling sometimes rough terrain. Low/easy maintenance and reliability are key issues. By the way, am I doing an overkill with the scag? Is there another low end commercial mower that might meet my needs for less $$ ?
  2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, I would strongly recommend a Bad Boy Pup. 48in 23hp Vanguard is $5999, a 48in 30hp kohler is $6395, or a 31hp Kawaski 52in is only $7295. These things are full blown commercial machines with 5 guage quarter inch thick electric lift decks. Spindles are completely sealed, the frame is 7 guage steel. Heck the BBM has the strongest frame and the strongest deck in the industry. Mows at 11mph and makes one of the nicest cuts I have ever seen. If you don't have a dealer around you, I wouldn't sweat it. You can purchase directly from the factory, and they will overnite parts to you. They also have a fix-it-yourself program. Let me know if you have any questions.
  3. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

get the kawi, these motors are much better then any others ever used, our preference. kawi is the best we believe
  4. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

There are lots of brands to look at! from Dixie Chopper to encore country clipper Hustler Grasshopper to others! The v-twin vanguard is a very good engine but so is kawasaki! As far as that goes so is kohler!
  5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the 48" 19 kawasaki Scag Tiger cub. Dont let these other guys talk you out of a Scag. They are "simply the best" mower you can get. If you buy other than a Scag I think you will eventually regret it. They are bulletproof proven machines. :weightlifter:
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Personally speaking, for myself if I had that size of a lot I would most likely opt for a Wb. I would get a nice top of the line one, pay the extra for a ride-along Velke and not mind so much the minor differences while I pocket the extra cash. It's not even about the money, it's about what they're designed for, in this case the fact that it is commercial is what sets them apart.

It's not to turn you off the Z, and if your lot needs frequent cutting you could get a Z, but I have about 4-5 times what you have on my schedule and my Z hardly sees the hours it should be seeing, I sometimes feel like it was such a waste to buy it.

So with that in mind and my Z sitting in a corner doing its best to look pretty, most likely I would go for one of these:

They do require a bit more maintenance, most of these machines run and work so good they make me WANT to do it so first you'll need a grease gun and 4-5 minutes of time about every 3-4 cuts, also sharpening the blades at this interval likely would not hurt but that's with any machine. Of course the Wb requires you replace or clean the foam pre-cleaner element as it gets dirty as well, what it's worth to you I suppose is what this boils down to.

So maybe for making a more precise choice, see if a dealer nearby will let you demo one.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Scag mowers are more or less equal to any top of the line mower on the market... mowing 2-3 acres a week the mower should last you a life time. I would lean towards the kawasaki engine....Briggs may be ok but I have alot more exp with the kawasaki

8. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Topsites--a "Z" for such a small amount of mowing is truly overkill! That said--regardless of what is bought--always lean to a Kawasaki--several thosuand commercial people can't be wrong!! It costs a little more but well worth it.
  9. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

kawi is alot better then kohler, kohler sucks. we opened up a repair shop recently, and mostly all of the bigger machines have had the kohler. the briggs of course is a cheap engine to fix. kawi lasts the longest and runs very smooth, also i believe they have alot more power then any other motor.
  10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

These statements are all true, I have to admit when I was buying Scag was among others on the top of my list. You just can't ignore the build quality, factory support, quality of cut, standard options, and sheer price difference that BBM offers.