1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Velocity Mulch Plate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Audrey, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I had some time today and decided to play with the new Tiger.
    I just bought the side discharge cover plate. On my 2001 Tiger with the Advantage deck, it worked just fine without seperate blade chambers. I thought I would give it a go this time with the 2006 Velocity deck. On the right are the discharge chute and part of the discharge baffle system.

I installed the plate, cleaned the bolts and spacers, and scraped the deck. I installed regular mulch blades from J -Thomas. I did not move the baffle from the factory setting.

2. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Well, the results were disappointing.

The grass was cut two days ago at 3.5 inches. Today with the mulch plate, I set the deck at 3 inches. Two day's growth plus 1/2 inch. Regular crappy grass, with a few weeds thrown in for for flavor.

What I have found is there is too much grass for the discharge side blade to handle. This deck is much more efficient then the Advantage. I think the grass flows more quickly to the discharge. Great for open discharge, but bad for what I was trying to do here.

I tried different speeds, different directions over the same rolls of bumps, and even backwards. Backwards was worse. Slower speed helped a little bit, but the clumps were still there.

The grass is piling up at the cover plate. There's just too much of it to go anywhere, so it leaves clumps out from underneath. It only leaves clumps at the extreme edge where the plate is when driving. When I would stop and back up, it would also leave a nice little pile which must have collected either at the plate, or at the front of the deck under the baffle. It was about two square shovels full each time.

The cut was always good. Obviously, the slower the ground speed the better. No stragglers and no misses when using a slow speed.
    Double cutting eliminated the clumping. However, my goal with this is no double cutting. I could do it with the Advantage. I am not exceeding the limits of mulching by taking too much, I have sharp and balanced blades, the deck is clean, I used slow to moderate speeds, and I am sure I have enough horsepower.

I don't necessarily see this as a negative. I think it's a positive as to how well the deck flows air. With open discharge, it stomps the Advantage deck in all areas. I think this is another way it shows that the new deck is a much more efficient cutting platform from the Advantage. I think the new design is capable of doing more with less power also.

Today was the first time I could hear a slight change in the motor. With the mulch plate on, I found the thickest, tallest, clipping-laden grass I could..... on my neighbor's property. :laugh: He doesn't care when I play there. He's happy it gets cut more often, even if it is only in parts.
    Anyway, I took off at full stick and kept the hammer down. After 10 seconds or so, there was a slight incline. It was here I thought I heard the engine dig in a little bit. I kept on at full speed, but ran out of room. I didn't even come close to choking it. I didn't want to scalp the guy's lawn so I didin't lower the deck past 3 inches. I would guess I removed an inch plus what was laying on top.
    His lawn is more flat then the pictures I posted above. I will go out on a limb and say this is the reason that I did not have such a pronounced clumping issue there. I was surprised it did better. It was thicker and I removed more material. And, I was flying in places. Maybe the turf helped keep the grass contained? If this is so, dropping the front baffle would help some, but it will not eliminate the "problem."

The machine is not perfect. But I feel this is something I can certainly live with. It was engineered to have separate blade chambers. I could get away without doing that with the Advantage, but no dice here. :nono: It's too much improved.

Hopefully this may save someone out there pinning their hopes on saving the money with the full mulch kit. Maybe in different grasses it will still work? That I can't say. I will revisit this cover plate only scheme in the fall when it's time for leaves. I usually discharge anyway, so it's no great loss for now.

I removed the plate and reinstalled the chute and baffle. I then tried cutting again. It cut just fine. But, I get better results from regular blades as opposed to mulchers when discharging. At 1/2 speed and up it left many stragglers. Slowing down solved this problem. The cut was nice and even with no misses or stragglers. Dispersal out the chute was just as good as regular blades. Double cutting where I was zooming along picked up what I missed the first time.
    You can only go so fast. With the bigger deck I also notice spanning lets the vacuum out, and creates more stragglers and misses. IF it's flat, there's no limits to speed and quality of cut from this machine.

3. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Good post and very useful but if I said anything or even mentioned that I was thinking or even had a thought of trading mowers or buying another one I really think that yopu could read my OBIT here becuse there would be a dead person in my house and it would be me . BESIDE all we have in my neck of North East Texas is brown dead grass and alot of dust we need rain bad
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Nice post, Im thinking of purchasing a wildcat or turf tiger with a 61'' deck. My cub with a 48'' deck is getting harder to keep up with the work load. On my cub with the mulching blades, I have the same problem as you when side discharging, the regular blades are alot better. Later in the fall when grass doesnt have the moisture or sap in it like this time of year, I can run the mulching blades and side discharge.

5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

GREAT POST! very informative thanks.