Scag velocity plus deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C4chris70, May 1, 2008.

1. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Is anyone having trouble with blow out from the velocity plus deck? The dust is so bad I have trouble seeing what I am cutting. I never had any problems with the Advantage deck. I do not have the mulch kit, just the plate and mulch blades as suggested by my dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Have you adjusted your baffle position at all? What cutting height are you experiencing this?

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Same situation that I have......I will try to drop the skirt down from middle setting to the bottom but don't expect it will help much. Like you say it is very very bad almost to point that unit isn't useable in dry conditions where there is leaves. The dealer said to put on the mulch channels and other devices but I am afraid I can't do any bush hogging under power lines if I do that. To lessen the impact I mow properties the morning after they are irrigated and that helps.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not had a single issue with blowout on mine. Granted I dont mulch, just bag and side discharge. I have high lifts on, the baffle set all the way down. No mulching baffles or anything of that sort. I get some blow out with my advantage deck though

5. C4chris70

I have adjusted baffles, tried high lift blades, low lift, mulch blades, gators etc.. This happens at hights from 3 to 5 inches.

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag: I don't have any problems, ive got both decks, i will say i think the advantage deck cuts a little better, why are you running mulching blades so early in the growing season? I doing great with mid-lift marbain blades....Marks Mowing Service

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If you are just blocking off the discharge opening on this deck... well then I don't see what the surprise is.

8. C4chris70

I tried running mulch blades because Scag said mulch blades would solve my problem....It did not. Also lawns that use reclaimed water in central Florida are growing rapidly.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got down under the deck today and realized I could drop that front skirt a lot. So I dropped it 1/2 inch...but a little concerned that it looks like it may be almost as low as the bottom of the that slopped part of the deck in front. I know the bolts would allow at least another 3/4" so I will see how that affects blowout. Unfortunately there is a snag point on the right end that may make loading the unit difficult....little engr oversight.

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am with Envy...just blocking off the chute is hopeless. If it is dry, even with a mulch kit it will probably be pretty much a dust cloud, with likely poor cutting to boot. The dealer who reccomended this has apparantly never mowed commercially.

We have moist conditions and the deck has been brilliant. It makes my XR-7 Hustler cut look sad. At this point I am perfectly thrilled with it's performance. I think it slays the old Advantage deck in it's ability to process large growth.

Drop the adjustable baffle down, and give up mulching....I think it will do much better.