Scag Velocity updates $10

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 15, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I recently had an order from J-Thomas. At the last moment I said go ahead and let me try some of your high lifts blades for a Scag 61" deck. The high lifts were 3" wide but just about $10 each. I rained yesterday morning and I didn't think I would be able to cut grass but I tried them in the evening on a thick but not too tall 3 acre lot. The grass was slightly wet to the touch so I set the deck on 3.25" and I noticed immediately how crisp the cut was. The more I cut the more I was impressed. When I engaged the blades I heard the high lifts roar kind of like a plane (much like the Exmark with high lifts sounds). I figured with all that lift I wold be clumping or scraping the deck in this damp fescue but it cut the entire 3 acres without a clump and when I pulled one wheel on the trailer to check the deck it was as clean. The clipping seemed smaller also. The Scag Velocity deck has always cut well but never as crisp as the Exmark but with these blades it was hard to tell much of a difference. I just thought I would share this information. I really never thought it would have made that much of a difference and was skeptical of the 3" wide blades but the lawn looked great. Unless I find some problem with these blades later I will probably get some more. I'm sure other suppliers or Lawnsite sponsors have similar blades that do as well but all I can report on at this time is the set I used. They were new out of the box and I didn't sharpen them, just used the factory edge. When I get more seat time with them I'll report back if your interested.

2. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Tacoma,
    You should of discovered this last week before I bought the Lazer U/C over the Wildcat. Just kidding, I cut the wet part of my lawn last night and the lazer did better than I expected. I was even cutting areas that left mud trails and slung muddy water on the machine.

Is the lift higher and/or longer on the 3" wide blades than on the 2-1/2" stock High Lifts?

3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be interested in these blades Tacoma. I run the regular Scag blades that came on my 61" Tiger right now. Whats the part # on these blades I will try them out also. :waving:

4. tacoma200

21 Scag High Lift Blade Part #SG-3445 (3"wide) $10.81 each

1-800-828-7980

5. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Tacoma, gonna try the ones for my 52".

6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Tacoma I will also try these out. Now do you recommend a good Blade blocker or Chute Blocker for the 61" velocity plus?

7. FIRESCOOBY

I've got the Qwikchute. I like it.

8. tacoma200

Why do you like the Qwikchute better than a power chute? Just wondering. I'm always wondering about tearing the handle off a manual one or if the chute blocker doesn't rotate 180 degree's it would be in my way. I'm definately in the market my self.

9. FIRESCOOBY

Haven't tried the power chute, but had a Qwikchute on my Hustler and was used to using a handle. It's second nature now. The flap does rotate all the way up and stays out of the way.

10. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Do you think these would work as well for my tiger cub with a 19 kawi I side discharge, mulch and bag would they work well for st.augustine?