Scag Velocity VS John Deere 7Iron PRO - advice again

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, Mar 3, 2008.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Ok all, these are the two choices I've narrowed it down to. I've demoed the Scag last year, but nothing was growing much with the drought.

I haven't demoed the JD yet because the new Z820A (54"/25) are just starting to trickle in.

What I'm looking for (again) is experiences, recommendations, etc for these two decks. The JD is comparable in price to the Wildcat and the TT is about $1000-1400 more. I cut Bermuda and Fescue, and looking for a dependable mower that cuts great.

Any info and advice is appreciated.

2. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I have the John Deere 7 iron deck and have only good things to say about it. Leaves a great cut and discharges clippings great even when wet. I don't think you would go wrong buying one. Good luck in whichever you purchase!

3. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Which brand has better local dealer support in your area?

4. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

That is Scag. The closest JD dealer is almost an hour. I have two different Scag dealers within 30 minutes, the best price from the dealer that's about 15 minutes.

Maybe I just answered my own question. Just wanna make sure I get the mower with the best cut.

5. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

I have four Scag mowers with the Velocity decks and they all cut great no matter the conditions. The only problem I have is that some customers don't like a larger mower on their property so I am looking at the Great Danes to compliment the Scag's.

6. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

jd has a deep deck creating more suction the scag i think their deck is 1 inch deeper than the scag. we run floating decks scags 4 of them and some other machines and i am not as happy with them as i use to be this year i am getting a jd 54 floating deck my friend has one and would never switch o anything else that was after he left scag

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My 737 leaves a great cut and is especially good in Burmuda and great on Bahai. I have never used a scag so I can't comment on them. I will say that my deere beats exmark on overall different grasses, especially bahai.

8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I run two Scag Turf Tigers with velocity decks. They leave a good cut and do well in wet conditions.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The decks are close, both preform excellently. I would give Scag the edge as far as the tractor goes as far as toughness goes. It is a proven design while the John Deere is developing. The Scag has the full suspension Michigan seat and a greater selection of engines. But I don't think you could go wrong with either.

The Scag is a little more dated design, but proven. It is a long lasting workhorse. Jury is still out on the Deere. The design just changed recently.

10. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran both mowers and both have there stong points. If I had to chose it would be the scag.