1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag Vride Parts breakage Problem 48"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, May 8, 2014.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This turnbuckel (25)that is part of the deck stabalizer keeps breaking. Basically two of these keep the deck from swinging back and forth on the chains.

Screenshot_2014-05-08-12-16-28.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this, besides slowing down and not running over rough terrain. :hammerhead:

20140508_075516.jpg

And the little part cost $30.

Screenshot_2014-05-08-12-16-28.jpg

20140508_075516.jpg

2. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Is it breaking mowing or on your trailer?

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the age of the machine there's likely only but so much you can do...
    It's probably just worn to that point, only thing I can think of is replacing parts 22 and 23 as well, but that may not do much.

4. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Ed how bout putting an extra nut and washers to completely fill the whole threaded area that's left exposed . I think that would move the leverage point closer to the spherical bearing thus reducing the leverage. Well at least that's my guess .

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Another idea might be to weld the parts (23, 24, and 25) together, I might also suggest finding a piece of steel to weld to that assembly as reinforcement, likely this would run you just over $100 in parts and welding costs.

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

That end is to light, it's only a 1/2 inch diameter. Exmark uses a 5/8 end on their riders....Call Scag and see if they make a beefier push arm assy. that would just mount up.

Other wise, it's drilling and taping to go bigger, or slow down over rough ground....

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't get that type of feedback but worth looking at.

Unit is in third year with 1200 hours....that yoke is $175:cry:

I think that just might work I don't know why it needs to be adjustable.

Another good idea using beefy part. I don't know how to go about calling Scag?

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Google :drinkup:

9. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

It's hitting something hard to break. It's not just running over rough ground.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you hit something going forward that would put compression on it. A tensile load would occur if deck caught something backing off trailer. A side shouldn't do it. This is an obvious under designed part considering the weight of that deck...

20140510_151312.jpg

20140510_151319.jpg