Scag vs Bobcat...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spalmer97, Mar 29, 2003.

1. spalmer97

spalmer97 LawnSite Member

Im am in the market for a 36" belt w/b and have posted many other topics about this to which everyone has been so helpful. I think I have it narrowed down to Scag and Bobcat and was wondering what everyone thinks...Anyone own a 36" Bobcat w/b? Here are the specs:

Scag 36" Belt Electric start 15 hp Kaw v-twin $2899.00

Scag 36" Belt Electric start 12.5 Kaw $2549

Bobcat 36" Electric start 15 hp Kaw v-twin $2645

Let me know what you think...
  2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

3. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

4. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

Bobcat bobcat bobcat. Good quality cut and a heavy duty deck.
  5. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I say get the scag with the 15 kawi, I have one with the 13 kohler and it needs more power, trust me on this. But demo both and find out which one that you like, I have no experience with the bobcat.
  6. Have a scag belt 36 with a 12.5 kohler and if you intend on mulching (mulch kit)best thing you can do is buy the machine with the 15 kawi. Pricing is comparable to my area. Look at service and parts availability for both machines in your area and then try to demo both when making final decision. Good Luck
  7. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Get yourself a SCAG,
    And success is in the bag!

Sorry, that was corny. But seriously, SCAG is far better than Bobcat, and the 15 HP V-twin Kawasaki is SWEET! Kawasakis have loads of torque. Wonderful.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have both. IMO, the SCAG seems more heavy duty, but the Bobcat has a nicer cut. With proper maintenance, both will last a long time.
  9. nclawnman

nclawnman LawnSite Member

IF it matters to you bobcat has the fastest blade tip speed in the industry. IT is 19500 feet per minute. hte next closest is gravely with 18500. I have a walk behind 36" cut with the 15 kohler and it cuts great in thick grass. I cant say anything about scag. never run one!!
  10. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

never had a bobcat but im expert with scag walkbehind .They tough built like a tank will last a long time with proper maintanence.
    Cut quailty is excellent and they stripe great .