1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag vs. bunton

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by breis, Jun 28, 2002.

1. breis

breis LawnSite Member

Can someone please help me? I've been looking around, trying to decide between the bunton 48" walk behind and the scag. They both look the same with similar features and similar price. Any insight into which is superior would be greatly appreciated.

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a button 36 ive had for 22 years way before scags were made and the only thing i have ever had to replace are belts and tires and blades so far. it had no motor on it when i got it so i put a 12 hp kaw on it when they first came out and the only thing ive done with it is change oil check and add gear box oil when needed
    been a great little mower so not sure how good the new button hydros are but if they have not changed the decks on them any you cant go wrong with a button
    i have a jacobson scag look alike i think scag made the decks for jacobson. only diff to the mowers are the handle bars are not curved. its about 10 years old and im ready to replace the piece of junk :( with a button ;)
  3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Are you looking for a belt or a hydro? I can help you out cause I know a lot about both.
  4. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I personally have a scag 36" with a 15 hp kawasaki. I love it although it doesnt stripe (i use i sulky so my foot prints dont show) as well as i would like. So i just made a homemade chain kit. (I will try and post a pic later) I have noticed that the quality of the buntons cut has gone down hill not a hole lot though. I like scag the best so i hope that helps.
  5. Jim Feder

Jim Feder LawnSite Member

If you want a mower for life go with the scag I run a 48" belt (bertha) shes our first new 48" we bought. It is a 2000 belt drive with a 17hp kaw and does she scream. This mower is the best money we have spent. We went and got me a 52" lesco hydro this year do to me geting old and my hands would be sore after 13-15 lawn in a day. tomarrow is sat and I can say that the first mower on my trailer will be bertha I will meet the crews on this block that we mow and my bro has a 48" tiger cub new this year and the two guys that work for us will run 36" scags or 52" lesco. I feel so good about bertha that I would bet any of them a day pay for my days pay that that 48" scag (Bertha) will be done with its work end back on the trailer be for any of them and we all have about the same amount of grass to cut. but that lesco may come out if i have a over grown feild to cut or yard that has a lot of dog **** in becase you just can't abuse the one you love. That lesco has sat more hrs then it has ran becase the old scag just wont let me down.:D
  6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

There was an auction in Hastings NE today and they had two almost 10 year old Goodal by Bunton 48 belt drives. bothe have had good careand many new parts and both brought over $1000
    I'm sure alot has changed on the Buntons since then but longevity says something.
  7. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

HAH, dumb both of em' and go with the Exmark!:D
  8. Haha was thinking the same
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Demo both, but buy an eXmark.

Ok, demo the eXmark also.
  10. breis

breis LawnSite Member

OK, that makes three for Exmark. Care to back it up with why?