Scag vs Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cadzilla500, Oct 17, 2006.

1. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

I've got a 2004 50" Dixie Chopper Coatsville Classic with 250 hours. I'm thinking of selling it, and purchasing a new Scag Turf Tiger 61". Anyone have opinions on Sacg mowers? I like my Dixie Chopper, but I'm ready to upgrade to a higher quality machine. Any input would be appreciated.:hammerhead:
  2. cadzilla500

By the way, my father in law is a Scag dealer, and I should be able to get one at a good price.
  3. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I have a 61" wildcat and I love it. I think the biggest differences you will see is that a scag will hold a hill much better than a chopper, and the quality of cut will be a noticeable difference. (Spend the extra money for the zebra striping kit!) I have no complaints about my scag.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We love our scag TT. This is our 2nd year with it. I did have the stator (?) go on it but fixed under warranty. Have the 61" with 29 LC/EFI kawi. Alos have soft bagger for it. I've written on this unit a few times do a search and look it up or PM with specifics.

I can't comment on comparison to a dixie though. Never owned one. But what I can say is for all I hear about how fast they are and everything I never see them going that fast cause of all the turns and everything least in our neck of the woods here in central jersey.
  5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

The scagg line are very high In quality...Iheard a rummer that the new Scagg Turf Tiger had the option of a Kubota Diesel...Any one see the new specs?
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

your father in law is a scag dealer and its taken you this long to switch hes probably all over your case at family dinners:hammerhead:
  7. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

big difference you will see right off the bat is the Scags levers will seem very hard to move back and forth compared to the choppers levers. Once you get used to this you will like the scag alot.
  8. cadzilla500

It's a day trip to where he lives. I bought the dixie from him two years ago, and have been wanting to upgrade now that I am used to ZTR. My buddy is probably going to bring back a Scag walkbehind also. Anyone have opinions on their walkbehinds?
  9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have two 48" hyrdo WB's I believe 01 and 02. Great reliable mowers. Both purchased new.One has advantage deck with mulch kit the other the standard deck with side discharge/bagger setup.

Specific questions feel free to PM me.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Scags rule,get the 35 horse lc engine man it don't get no better.