Scag vs Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dpullen4, Apr 29, 2005.

1. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I priced 36" belt drive WB's and was surprised to see the Scag was $200 more than Exmark. The salesman claimed they were better machines, but from what everyone on here says, almost everyone would lean toward the Exmark.

2. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I own and like both.

3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say go with the Exmark. They are really good mowers. Also try to go with a floating deck!

4. SeacoastDesignsL&L

SeacoastDesignsL&L LawnSite Member

I wouldnt say everyone would lean towards the exmark, both are very good machines, it basicly just comes down to preference and dealer locations. Go with the scagg, I love mine

5. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had both scags and exmark. belt drives its a tossup. slight edge Exmark. hydro , Exmarktthp hands down.

6. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

Here's an idea, why dont you go demo both and pick out the one you like better. DUH!!! You dont get on here and say which truck should I get. You need to get the mower that fits your needs and what you feel more comfortable operating!!

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

True...if Scag wants to compete in WB market they must come up with a better control system than its current "archaic" pistol grip only. Both belt and hydro by Scag are brutal to operate for long hours, sure they are built like tank but my hands are not.

8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

And don't you think the name "Scag" sounds kinda skanky?
    It is also a pretty ugly machine.
    But, neither of those things matter a whole lot.
    If the Exmark (and I own two) is $200 bucks cheaper, I think you come out way more than $200 ahead......esp. if you are getting ECS w/the Exmark. Pistol grips? Almost as bad as belt drive. No thanks......

9. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

Scag all the way!!
    they're built like tanks, can't kill em'.

I like the scag turf tiger.

10. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I rather run a machine with a shanky name then a cheap looking, cheaply made with a "gay" name (exmark)

all I run is scag.

scag has....
    1. cast iron spindels
    2. greasable spindels

Exmark has...
    1. cast aluminum spindels
    2. sealed bearings

two very big reasons why I run scag.