1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag vs exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kenny58, Aug 26, 2007.

1. kenny58

kenny58 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I am trying to decied which zero turn to buy. I have narrowed it down to A scag or exmark which one gives a better cut and which is a better overall machine. thanks, Kenny
  2. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

Do a search and you will find a lot. Seardh titles only and you will find all of them.

Also check out both dealers and see what they have to offer. I know my scag dealer is the worst in the business so i dont care how great scags were i would not buy one. Good Luck!
  3. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

Since they're both at the top of the ZTR food chain, they're both going to cut beautifully...
    I pondered the same decision when I was buying my ZTR, and decided on the Scag. I own a welding shop and work with steel all the time. So looking at how they were fashioned--welds, structure, etc., played a part in my decision. The Scags are built like a Mack truck, and that's what sold me. I also noticed that all the LCO's in my area who are doing highway medians and large commercial jobs are all using Scags...mainly Turf Tigers. I went with the 52in. liquid-cooled Kawasaki combo. No regrets...

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

OH NO, another exmark and scag fight,the metal work on a scag is a work of art scag makes every piece on there mower from a machine shop excluding the wheels.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting ....I am a big Scag fan but those guys need to figure out how to get paint to stay on their welds, all my old units are rusting thru...
  6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the Scag also. I have a Turf Tiger and have had no problems with it. I just bought a walk-behind and I love the way it cuts but I have to bend over alot to use it. Just Scag riders for me!!!!!!!!!!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here on the paint we buy it for $12.99 a can.
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You can't make a bad decision b/t the two. They are both the best IMO. I actually think the Exmark is little more scalp resistent than the Tiger... but the Tiger is tough. I own 3 Tigers. Just converted about a year ago. The only problem I have had on my 06 Tiger is the gear box seal has been broken twice in 900 hours.... but at the same time the mower has the same belts today as it did the day it left the factory. I have had Hustler and Dixie Choppers... and I think the Scag is a superior piece of equipment... especially for operations that run multiple crews and don't have the most careful operators.
  9. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

When you compare these two brands you have to be specific on which models you are comparing. I beleive both have advantages kind of like to prize fighters fixing to go at it. The Tiger Cub and Wildcat are on par with the Lazer series as far as construction quality but the advantage will definitely go the Velocity deck over the Triton from most reports on the cut. Exmarks Ultracut has been tried and proven and would be a toss up vs the Scag decks depending on turf conditions, and what look you actually wanted.

But then there is the Turf Tiger which is in a class of it's own as far as construction is concerned. You will be hard pressed to find another Z that is as fortified and built like the Tiger. It may ride like a tank but it is definitely built like one as well. Either way you will be satisfied with either brand,(exmark ultracut prefered) Let the dealer and after the sell service be the deciding factor between these two brands. Just my 2 cents.
  10. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

You see my eqmnt listed below...enough said.