Scag vs Ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rubixcube, Feb 10, 2008.

1. rubixcube

rubixcube LawnSite Member
    from MA

I'm a looking to get a walk behind to do my personal lawn and am trying to decide between 2 used mowers with 100-200hrs on them. A 2004 48" Scag and a 2006 48" Ferris. Both are belt drives (for 1 lawn I find it hard to justify the cost of a hydro). Anyone lean one way or another?

2. CHoniglandscapes

CHoniglandscapes LawnSite Member

with belt drives I would say they are pretty much equal, If the scag is the Advantage deck then I would buy the Scag. What motors are on them?

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I onyl use SCAG but you do hear very good things about ferris. For personal use I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

4. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

The Ferris is a better ride!!!

5. CHoniglandscapes

they are walk behinds..... I have owned ferris and scag.. The bigger Ferris Hydro's are indestructable, but the belt drives are in my opinion equal to the Scag.. My decision would be on what motor is on either one.

6. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

OOPS!!!!!!!

7. CHoniglandscapes

say for example: Ferris has 12.5 Kohler, Scag has 17hp kawi. Its obvious!!!!

8. rubixcube

rubixcube LawnSite Member
    from MA

They both have 15HP Kawi engines. I need to check on the Advantage deck for the Scag. Pardon my ignorance, but why is the Advantage deck so great. I have heard a lot of good things about it.

9. CHoniglandscapes

I have a 52 hydro advantage, it seems to stripe a little better and SUCK UP EVERYTHING!!! you can tell by looking at it, the front of the deck is sloped as opposed to straight up and down.