Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by llama, Feb 19, 2004.

1. llama

llama LawnSite Member

What are some of your opinions?
  2. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I don't have either one, but looking at both. The dealer which has both told me that Scag is best seller, but Ferris #1 customer rated.... Who really knows lol!
  3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

You can't go wrong, two of the best mowers out there. Just Demo and find a GOOD dealer. A machine is only as good as its dealer.
  4. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Demo, demo, demo. I have a scag and I couldn't be happier about how well it has held up, but don't forget about dealer support when you are buying, even a cadalic will eventually break.
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a side by side demo scheduled for march 1st with another lawnsite member.

We will be comparing a Ferris IS 3000, Scag Turf Tiger, Husqvarna ZTH6127XP:all with 60-61in decks and 27hp kohlers, along with john deer stander and out front mowers. I will post results and pictures as soon after as I am able to.
  6. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Scag is my vote I have used one for 4 years and still going strong.
  7. Gonna vote Scag!! If I couldnt buy another scag I would buy a hustler.
  8. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I happen to own both in this is my take

Note that I've run scag 3 wheleers and WB, models between 93-98 ad ferris model 94 and up

All of the scags and I mean all of them have a really weak frame, maybe we are too rough on them who knows, but since I try a used ferris 3 wheeler which was a model '97 have noticed that after all this years still in one pice.

Scags had to be welded in various diferent spots even only after one season of use.

For me Ferris has being very reliable and well build.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Scag is a great company and makes a great machine...but I have personally owned like 20 or so Ferris machines. I like them more...
  10. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Go W/ Ferris....We have them and love them....No problem w/ welds and great ride w/ the suspension....