Scag vs. Grasshopper productivity

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cadzilla500, Oct 18, 2006.

1. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

I been looking into upgrading to a Scag 61" Turf Tiger or Wild Cat. Scag's website lists the productivity at 6 mph. I can do the math and figure out the maximum productivity, but can they operate at top speed?
    My next question is how does the Scag compare to the Grasshopper. My father-in-law is a grasshopper man, and I may look at a 227/61. I can't find anything on their website about productivity, and I was wondering how the two compared. If anyone has any input about another brand, feel free to post a reply. Thanks.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't compare a grasshopper 200 series with a turf tiger go to the 300 series.

3. cadzilla500

why can't I compare them. I'm comparing productivity & economy.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

A tt has bigger pumps and has a lc engine,and is shaft driven.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The Grasshopper 227/61" machine is rated at about 10 MPH wide open. I have actually mowed at full speed many times when conditions allowed. However, the normal mowing speed, due to ground conditions, for me, is about 7 - 8 MPH. I am a Grasshopper dealer, but, also have a lawn maint. business on the side. Back before I was a dealer, about 2001, I demoed a lot of machines before finally going all Grasshopper. The Scag machines were so rough riding, I could not run them at any high rate of speed and still stay in the seat, or get a quality cut.
    In fact, I asked the local dealer to get me a Scag, 61" machine to demo, (About a 25hp machine), and, told them, if the demo went well, I would buy the machine on the spot. I took it to one of my rougher properties for a try. After 30 minutes, my back was so sore from the thrashing I was taking, that I loaded it up and took it back to the dealer. I then tried a Grasshopper 61" midmount machine. I bought it after about a 30 minute demo. It was far superior to the Scag in ride and handling. I believe you will find the same ride comparison true today. The Scag machines just have too high a center of gravity, so the ride is so bad you have to slow down. That reduces the productivity.

6. cadzilla500

I grasshopper the best mower in the $7-$8K range? How many acres an hour can the 227/61 cut?

7. Mowingman

from Texas

There is no one answer to that question. too many variables, like ground conditions, grass conditions, number of objects to mow around.
    Under very good conditions, at 8 MPH, and cutting 60" wide, you could mow about 5 acres/hr., if my calculations are correct.
    At 10 MPH you could cut 6.1 acres/hr.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

And in most application 3-1/2 to 4 acres per hr. is tops. Just to many obstacles to run ANY mower much faster including the biggest obstacle ground conditions. Even if the machine can hold together yr after yr of wide open running the body will give out.

9. Mowingman

from Texas

I agree 100%

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Both quality machines. Grasshopper has a better ride. I think they use very low pressue tires which helps in this area. I tested the new Grasshopper suspension seat and it would be a must have. The Scag may have a better cut and be a little heavier built. The grasshopper makes a great diesel.