Scag vs. Hustler fastrak

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2Acres, Aug 29, 2006.

1. 2Acres

2Acres LawnSite Member

I received a decent trade-in from my local dealer for my tractor. He carries Scag, Hustler, and Deere.

I am looking for a 48-52" deck for 2+ acres (thick lawn).

Here are my options.

'05 New Scag 19 Kaw/ 48 deck $6199
    '06 New Scag 25 B&S/ 48 deck $5999

'06 Hustler Fastrak 20 Honda/ 52 deck $5049

If I go for the kawasaki, how does the 05 Scag deck fair vs the '06?
    How does the Hustler compare to the Scag?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 220 model Grasshopper. 20hp/52" cut and it had no where near enough power in thick grass so you only option for thick grass would be the 25 hp. But if your not mowing comercially you may get by with the other two. Kaw and Honda have a good reputation.
  3. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

I have about 2 1/2 acres of thick grass of my own. About 6 weeks ago I bought the 20(Honda)/52 Fastrak and I have nothing bad to say about it!
  4. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

If they sell Deere as well, I would look closely at the 717A 48" 19hp kawi. You should be able to get it for around $6,300. If you dont like that one, then the scags 48" 19hp kawi would be my first chioce on your list.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The scag wins it's a 24 horse.
  6. 2Acres

2Acres LawnSite Member

I appreciate your opinions.

I am going to demo both the Huster and Scag on my yard this week. They're going to let me use the B&S Scag vs. the Hustler. So, if I like the Scag I'll have to decide based on the one demo.
  7. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

If you buy the Scag go with the Kawasaki......

I'm a Scag and Hustler dealer..... The 20/52 FasTrak would be enough for you....

The Scag TigerCub is an awesome machine and the Kawasaki is awesome....
  8. 2Acres

2Acres LawnSite Member

What is the difference in the 05 vs. 06 Scag deck? I hear they made some improvements.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The discharge is larger we run a 05 and 06 i don't see much change the clipping's are better in the 06.
  10. 2Acres

2Acres LawnSite Member

Is the clipping issue big of enough of a difference to go with the B&S engine?

My property is a mature lawn that is fertilized regularly and watered everyday.

I cut twice a week.