Scag VS Toro HELP!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by atord, May 16, 2008.

1. atord

atord LawnSite Member

I am interested in purchasing a mower for personal use. My yard is an acre and a half and I live in the Chicago area.

I was originally looking at a Wright Stander but have been steered toward a rider. I have narrowed it down to a SCAG Tiger Cub or a TORO Z453, both with 48" decks and similar Kawasaki power. Both machines are at $7000.

Can anyone help make a choice? Which machine would give a better cut?

I have access to almost any brand, is there a better bang for the buck?

2. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a Scag dealer go with them. Toro and Exmark seem to be taking a dive in quality.

3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I love my tiger cub the velocity is a better deck than the 7 gauge.

4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go Scag also. Friend has a cub that has 2400 hrs on it. 19 kaw 48" advantage deck.:weightlifter:

5. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'll cast another vote another vote for Scag.They're the best built mowers around.IMO

6. cuttin-up

cuttin-up LawnSite Member

I have a Toro 23hp Kaw with a 48" T- force deck and I love it, at the time the Toro dealer was cheaper, and the Scag dealer didn't offer many deck and engine choices in the Cub. I just felt like 19hp wouldn't be enough to go through thick grass and do occasional bagging, plus the Scag dealer wanted more for a 19 hp than for a Toro 23hp. 1.5 acres is awful small for a $7000 mowing only machine, but those that can do so more power to ya!

7. SIWEL

SIWEL LawnSite Senior Member

i vote scag

8. JCam

JCam LawnSite Member

I bought a Scag Wildcat 26hp LC 61" deck after looking at Toro, Ferris, Exmark, Gravely, CubCadet, Simplicity and a Dixon. When comparing design and build quality I went for the Scag. It replaced a very old Wheel Horse tractor that was very expensive back in it's day, still running, and on trailer duty.

9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i like both. i also like gravely and exmark. go w/ dealer support.

10. atord

atord LawnSite Member

thanx for the replies