Scag Vs. Toro, John Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Escapeslawncare, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Escapeslawncare

Escapeslawncare LawnSite Member

Im looking to purchase a new mower and the Scag dealer said toro's just dont hold up, I dont beleive that to be true but lets get you opinions.

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have no expereince other than demoing a scag. They seemed like a great mower but I went with TORO. I have had JD in the past but really did not like them at all.

In regards to TORO holding up. I have had 8 of these machines and currently am running 4 Z's. They have b/t 500 - 1200 hours. 3 machines have had 0 problems. 1 machine is in the shop at least every other week. Belts, spindles - replaced two, replaced both hydro's, DFS bagger vibration, throttle cables, always something with this machines. If there was a lemon law for mowers this would be a candiate!

So I would go TORO. Although my next new mower, I will look seriously at Exmarks new machine come next spring. Remember dealer support means as much as what mower you buy.

3. Escapeslawncare

Escapeslawncare LawnSite Member

Thanks, I think I will go with toro the dealer is one of the best mechanics in town, but I would still like to know more about Scag

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Scag is "simply the best".......

5. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

6. Toro's commercial line can't be beat. Their professional series with ball bearing spindles aren't any better than anyone else's equipment.
    What are you looking to buy?

7. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have some approximate price range of the toro series?
    Z500
    Z550
    Z580
    Are these commercial grade?
    I'm not in the lawn business but I cut a little over 5 acres weekly here at the house. Some of the terrain is half-way smooth, some rough spots, slopes and hills. I was thinking of something like a 52" and 25 hp or so. I really wouldn't want to go with a bigger deck, some obstacles to cut around and between.
    Thanks.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I have had years of scag expereince followed by years of exmark and toro expereince. I used to have a fleet of all scags but by 2001 scag went to al kawi engines (for a while) and I liked the briggs vanguard series engines.
    I bought new scags and had nothing but trouble with the kawi v twin engines, not scags fault, but they wouldnt give me another engine option.

I bought my first Lazer Z 60" in 2001. With 1800 hours on it i sold it in 2005 with no issues, ever.

MY riders were exmark and my walk behinds toro.

The lazer Z was the first to have the striping kit.
    Now scag actually has a better one.

I think it depends on what you are going to do with the machines.

If you are going to run those things 8 hours or more every day, mowing lots of grass and you have employees. Go scag.

If you are owner operator, with a lot of resi lawns on your list and you do alot of on again off again with the trailer, go exmark.

Exmarks controlls are better, scags are tougher.

Right now I have one scag and one toro (much smaller than I used to be)
    The scag is a much better machine (and its definately older too)

Toro T bar walk behinds are the best in the walk behind market.

But If I had a fleet I needed to buy over again. I would go scag.

9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I would like to try a scag but dealer is to far away to even consider. TORO/EXMARK are here, as is JD, WOODS, GRASSHOPPERS, KUBOTA, DIXON, CUB CADET. Out of that line up for me, I have to swear by TORO/EXMARK. #2 you may ask - KUBOTA Z, then as far as I am concerned the rest may well....................

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

IF you could get a kubota Z for same or lower price than exmark Iwould do it in a heart beat.