1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag vs. Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by linky, Dec 26, 2000.

1. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Hi Lawnsite members! This is the best site on the web! I have found great info on this site. THANKS! Well, here it goes.I have a small but growing lawncare bussiness.I'm looking to boost my mowing productivety.I'm thinking of purchasing a Scag [48] or Toro[52]hydro walk behind.I have heard nothing but good things about both.Do you guys have any suggestions,comments or helpful info? Thanks for replies.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a scag and it hasnt had one problem yet. i started up my business two years ago with that walkbehind and its only been in for oil changes. not one problem. i will give my word towards scag.
  3. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

I have a scag, its been an excellent machine. I know Toro is good also. I would Demo them both and pick the one you like the best. Good Luck!!!

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a 17hp, 52" scag with the Advantage deck. Also check out Exmark their good too.
  5. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Well looks like ill be the downward pull here linky. I have a skagg 48" walker hydro, (SU@#S)I have had in the past a Skagg Turf tiger with the built in grassleafcatcher (S@#$ed)Now i have the new Cougar which is like the old turf tiger and have had problems with it also and only have about 60hrs on it, was supposed to be new and improved, yeah right. I also have a couple of toro's and Exmark's. These machines have been great. I dont usually talk bad about any manufacturer but skagg has struck out three times with me and im done. So make sure you do a demo!!!!!!
    Look at all the pros and cons it will pay in the long run.
    Hope some of this helps.
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i Dont own a scag but have used many of there models. The walkbehinds are very solid machines built very heavy duty. The riders on the other hand i have not talked to one owner who has positive coments about them. Scags in general lack the cut quality of the toro or exmark. All In all i would go demo the toro if its between the two... they last for ever and have a great quality of cut in all mowing conditions.
  7. Wheeless

Wheeless LawnSite Member

I have a Scag 17h.p./ 48" Ultimate deck. This is my second Scag with no problems. Nice cut with Eric's double blade setup. I use Scag blades on the bottom and Gators on top. This works for me.
  8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have driven a pre-90's Scag and found that our Toro T-Bar stearing was night and day improvement over the Scag. I dont know what they offer know but the T-Bar stearing on those Toros are the simplest and easiest thing too operate and alot less fatiuge. Im sure Scag has changed over the years to compete with all brands, I do here they cut real nice and are real durable and thats 2 things we all look for in mowers!!! Its up to choice from the owners of Scag mowers here they love em.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

well here is one owner who is very proud of his scag! talking about the cut quality-i think my turf tiger cuts just as good as a exmark or toro, if not better-if it does lack the cut quality then come prove it to me! i also have an exmark and the scag and exmark are excellent machines.
  10. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I have a Scag turf tiger with the liquid cool motor that I love to death. I also have a Lazer 60, and a Torro 44 Ztr. The Lazer is my machine of choice, but have no problems with the Scag.