Scag Vs Xmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by llama, Feb 28, 2003.

1. llama

llama LawnSite Member

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ON A 52" ZTR? SCAG OR XMARK? WHICH IS BETTER?

2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Sick 'em Bill Davis!:D

3. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

SCAG ALL THE WAY!!!!:blob4: :blob4:

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I can't comment on the tiger cub, cause I haven't run one, but I did run a Turf Tiger for a guy I worked for. That's why I own an eXmark! When I demoed my Lazer Z HP, it was obvious to me immediately that this was a better machine for me.
    I found that I could run the machine steadier, at a faster pace than the TT, and if I need to let go of 1 handle for a second (to swat a bug, or sctratch my nose, or whatever) I did not have to STOP.
    I also like the sealed spindles, one less thing to worry about daily.
    I was very leary of them at first, but then I realized, they are warrented for the same as Scag, and I've heard no comments here of spindle problems on an eXmark.
    As many others have stated on LS, the HP will take on a hill really well... Not something I felt confident at all with on the TT... Yes, I know the TT is a bigger machine, higher center of gravity, etc.... Maybe that's my point, I would take my 52" HP against the 60"TT any day, and on an average assortment of lawns in my area, I would be faster at the end of the day, simply because of the limitations of the larger machine (tight spots, hills, etc....)

I found my HP will leave a great cut as fast as I can run it in a straight line, this did not seem to be the case with the Advantage deck on the Scag, and yes, we changed blades/cleaned deck every day

I do own a Scag WB (~10 yrs. old) and I have no complaints w/it, but if I replaced it today, I would buy the eXmark simply because the ECS seems much more comfortable to use.

I guess what I'm saying is, after owning/running both brands, Scag is good, but I'd buy the eXmark.:D

5. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I will say that eXmark would be my choice. I tested both Scag & eXmark and chose the eXmark over the Scag for comfort, ease of operation, features and most of all the quality of cut.

6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Well if your comparing a Scag Turf Tiger to an Exmark HP thats not a fair comparison because those HP's are a smaller machine. You would have to be compareing it to a Scag Tiger Cub then. Which there the cubs have 10mph ground speed and from what i have heard great looking cuts.
    I have a 52inch Turf Tiger and it can fit in tight areas and hold hills beautifully. But when its time to go wide open it can cut alot of grass at 10mph with that bit 10gal fuel tank. I've had no problems with my Turf TIger, also have a WB with zero problems
    Hope this helps some
    Matt

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Now, are we talking about a walkbehind or a rider because ZTR could be zero-turn rider or radius. If it was a walkbehind, I've had good experiences with Scags and I plan to purchase another used hydro this spring. I've never used Exmark so I can't comment. As for the riders, I would demo them both and see which one you like best. Good Luck. Oh and also do a search on this topic, you'll find lots of threads. Peace

8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60' Exmark lazer 23HP KW AND 61" Scag Turf Tiger 27HP kw. i like the Exmark a lot better