Scag VS ......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j.p.landscaping, Jun 6, 2004.

1. j.p.landscaping

j.p.landscaping LawnSite Member

Ok Guys, time to ruffle some feathers.......
    I just bought my first walkbehind 2 days ago. It's a used 48" scag belt drive in VERY good condition. Starts first pull, no smoke,no leaks, clean cut,very solid. Now I have used scag, ferris lesco and bunton machines before but they were all belt drive fixed decks so thats as far as my experience goes. Answer me these questions...
    1. Why do so many people bad mouth scag? I think there the best built machines out there.
    2. What's the difference between the belt drives and the hydros? Are the hydros really worth the extra $$$?
    3. What's the major difference between fixed and floating decks. I herd some floaters can leave sloppy cuts.

Any other advice regarding walkbehinds would greatly be appreciated. I plan on getting a 36" soon too. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jay

2. i love scag walkbehinds cut great stripe great built to last ..like tanks....and if you got the bread yes hydro is worth it ....positive reverse ..no slipping belts in wet conditions and you will be less tired after a long day with hydro.

the floating decks are easier to get a good deck pitch on ...easier to adjust height of cut...fixed decks scags are not as long as the floating decks ..a little more compact ....i perfer the floating deck.