1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag w/b = best cut in New England

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hamsey, Jul 18, 2005.

1. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Looking into getting a hydro w/b, leaning towards a scag. Do they have a better cut than exmark? Will they be offering different controls? Just cannot seem to be able to pick which one. Keep on going back and forth between scag, exmark, toro, gravely and ferris. Dealers are local.

I have been reading about problems getting scag parts which is why I'm thinking about another make. Very tough decision.

Would be interested in hearing pros/cons about these w/b's.

Thanks Norm
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scags leave an awesome cut in Connecticut grasses thats all we use.

The one major difference is the Scags pistol grips vs Exmark where you can get the optional ECS controls.The ECS controls are supposed to be much less abuse on your hands more comfertable etc.Some people swear by it and wont touch pistol grips.Me personally the pistol grips dont bother me but thats probably because im on a ztr more than the walk behind. Other than that they are both great units you really cant go wrong with either.If you are from connecticut you will see tons of landscapers with scags...there is a reason for that.
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

eXmark sold the most walks so I don't know about Scag thing. As for the cut? They are pretty much close if blades are sharp. If you go Philly, you will see tons of eXmark walk and that is new england also...
    I don't buy that saying, they pretty much alike. The big diff is the control between the two, unless Scag comes up with new design, I will never buy them cause pistol is sucky.
  4. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I live in New York so I have the same kind of grass as CT. I own a Scag w/b and it cuts great. I think you will be very happy with Scag.

However, a lot of people seem to dislike the pistol grips and swear by the ECS controls. I haven't had a problem yet with pistol grips. I'd test them out if you can.

Also, choose a machine that offers good dealer support. I never have problems getting parts for my Scag.

Good luck.
  5. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

I just looked at a Scag and a JD 7H17. Leaning towards the JD at the moment. It has better pricing. I'll have to check out the Exmark.

I have to do a search on the 7-Iron deck and see what people are saying about it. It looks like a nice machine.

6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

The scag will last for years and give you one of the best cut's out there. It will also give you carpo tunnel syndrome. :)

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The pistol grips don't bother me we cut big properties.
  8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you dont squeeze on the handles really hard you shouldnt have any problems with your hands.