scag w/b electric clutch problem ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jes8, Jul 15, 2003.

1. jes8

jes8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

any help is,greatly appreciated, my problem is , the blades engage fine when the mower is cool. if its heated up after mowing few lawns, then transported to next job site, if i turn the blade switch on, the blades wont engage , until mower is cooled down? i replaced the switch with a new one already. could it be a bad connection or bad electric clutch..thanks for any advice.
  2. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem with my SW32. I was told on this forum that the clutch may be adjusted too far out. Look down on the sides of the clutch and there are 3 (?) slots through which you can insert a feeler guage. You'll have to get the gap settings from someone else (I don't remember) but it fixed mine.

BTW - I had a clutch loosen up and literaly fall out so check the center bolt and make sure the whole unit isn't just loose!
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

How old is this unit?
    'Clutch' might just be worn out, do you engage at 3/4 throttle like owner's manual recommends?
    It's no big deal or expense to replace.
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I had an intermittent clutch engagement problem on my scag 36"w/b. My problem ended up being the wiring harness wires were too small of a gauge of wire to handle the heat (routinely over 100*) which meant the resistence went way up and the clutch would disengage.
  5. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I did have a plug connector melt-down that gave some of the same symptoms as well. Maybe pull apart some plug connectors and make sure they are in good shape?
  6. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

I had the same problem. Fixed it by tightening the 3 bolts on the clutch. Turn (tighten) each bolt a quarter turn til you get the clutch to engage each time. A really easy fix. If that doesnt work check all fuses, wires,connections and switches. Good luck!!
  7. jes8

jes8 LawnSite Member
    from nj