Scag Walk-Behind need input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronsannie, Feb 21, 2002.

1. ronsannie

ronsannie LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a Scag Walk-Behind and need some input as to electric start or pull start. Here is my concerns, I mow until december in my area and temps can drop below 40 degrees so if I had a pull start I am not sure if I could get it started in cold weather or when the machine gets older.

Can you share your experiences with me please.
    Please include the Make of motor and size and if you use pull or electric start and how it reacts in warm or cold starting weather. Also how old your machine might be.

Thanks in advance

Ron

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

You should get the pull-start. They Don't break as easily and they are easy to fix. The electric start ones need to occasionally get new batteries and everything. The new Scags have this new cold-start feature that comes standard on all of the new hydros. Go to scag.com and get a product catalog. It tells everytihng about them in there. I'd go with the SWZ. Just my .02 .Good Luck!

3. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have an electric start 20Hp Kohler on a Scag that I bought used in 1997 and have only replaced the battery once, this is all I have had to do. Before this mower I had a Scag with a Kawasaki 12.5 HP( I think that is what it was) pull start, this mower always started on the second pull if not the first. I would choose what size mower I wanted and the HP rating I wanted and that would slim down your choices because the larger engines have electric start. I would say that a 16HP and smaller would be no trouble pull starting even in the cold. Hope this helps.

4. North GA Guy

North GA Guy LawnSite Member
    from 7a

Pull Start.

It is a lot cheaper to replace the rope than a battery. I have a 1999 17 Hp Scag Walk Behind and it will start on one pull every time. But I would go with the hydro instead of the belt driven.

5. I have a Scag belt drive 12.5 kohler with pull start and even when in upper 30's or low 40's will almost always start on first pull. I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor in my choice of a mower, look at dealer service and how the machine cuts. (mower is 2.5 years old)

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a Scag SW 36 13 HP Kohler, pull start, belt drive. Good machine, I haven't had any trouble starting it on a cold morning. I've been running a Scag Tiger Cub for a little over a year and it's obviously an electric starter ... been a very good machine. I'm impressed with the quality of Scag's mowers, I don't know why they don't do a better advertising job.

7. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We Have 15 Scag walk behinds, 14 are pull start, 1 is a elec start (ultimate Hydro) Pull starts are easier to fix as well as cheaper. Although the electric start is easier to start in an enclosed trailer.