Scag Walk Behind/Safety Levers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikbro, Jul 4, 2008.

1. mikbro

mikbro LawnSite Member

I had ask your opinion on buying a used Scag Mower. I found out it doesn't have the safety levers on it. How hard are these to put on and how do they work? Are they very costly? I found a used one on E-bay for around $20. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

my mowers dont have them, they are useless

3. mikbro

mikbro LawnSite Member

Just wondering what you mean by being useless?

4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

They are far from useless. What happens if you are going up a hill and the tire slips causing the mower to get away from you? I certainly want it to shut off and not keep going or come back at me! The levers should not be that hard to put on and it is something I definitely would do.

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I took them off one of mine and the other one i just used a zip tie to hold them down...I have always done that to all the mowers i have owned....I hate having to stop the blades and take the mower out ot gear just to walk away from it....So the only thing I do when i walk to pick something up i just shut off the blades..

6. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

They are the best things you could have on any mower, just fall down once or let it get away from you once and wait till it spins back around, I understand it saves a second here and there but i would rather waste a second than be missing a foot. be smart and leave it there. Also if you have people working for you and they panic when mowing for whatever reason all they have to remember is to let go and everything shuts down, i cant tell you how many times i have had new people get scared and just let go, its simple and safe. be smart and it shouldnt cost you much to have those put on even at the dealer

7. mikbro

mikbro LawnSite Member

The guy who sold it to me said the older scags didn't have these. Could someone please send me a photo of what they look like on a mower and explain what they do to stop the mower? Thanks.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

They work the same way as on a riding or ZTR if you get off the seat while the mower is running, its just kills the engine so nothing works.
    And the guy is wrong, Dane Scag left Ransomes to create his own lawnmower company, (originally known as Scag's) Before Dane Left Ransomes, all the ransomes had the safety levers. As a Result ALL Scags from day one had those levers on them
    MetalCraft eventually bought Dane Out and these days the company is simply called "Scag". Look at the mower if it says on the plate Mfg by Scag a divsion of MetalCraft then there is no doubt it came with safety levers. IF it is an older model and says "Scag's" and the apostraphy (sp) looks like a nail, you have a COLLECTORS ITEM. And it STILL came with safety levers.

Depending on the age of the model, these levers could be relatively expensive to replace.

9. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

This should help http://scag.com/manuals.html

10. mikbro

mikbro LawnSite Member

Two Seasons, Thanks for the link. I found the exact thing last night surfing the web. It was a definite help.