Scag walk behind scalping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Baldwinslawnservice, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Baldwinslawnservice

Baldwinslawnservice LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Scag fixed deck walk behind and it scalpes when mowing ditches and going in and out of dips. I was wondering if anyone had tried to mount some anti-scalp wheels on the leading corners of the deck? If not, can anyone tell me a technique to use to avoid all the scalping?

2. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

How many spacers between the blades and deck? How many spacers between caster wheel and caster arm? Does your mower have the three different deck mounting positions located next to the main tires (one of mine does one doesn't they are a year off hmmm)? If so what hole is it in? This could be an easy fix just post your set up. If all is well with the height adjustments and psi in the tires, just push down on the handles to avoid scalping :)

3. Baldwinslawnservice

My current setup is; the back in the highest setting, three washers on top of the blades and two spacers on the front caster wheels. The biggest problem is accually the deck trying to cut into the turf, especially when mowing inclines and ditches.

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

just tip the deck back push down on your grips

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

That's the trick. Or buy a ferris 48DD---they have the drive wheels at the extreme edge of the deck and will gouge the least out of any commercial walk behind.

You might look into a dual drive wheel setup for your scag if it doesn't extend your track beyond the width of the deck.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You just have to read the terrain. It's like that with any mower fixed or floating. The deck wheels will dig in if you attack a ditch the wrong way. Sometimes you'll just have to go back and string trim whatever you can't mow.
    I've got 32,36,48 and 52 walkbehinds-all fixed deck and the bigger you go, the easier it is to scalp. Like I said, just read the terrain. Tony

7. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

The best advice I could give you is to USE THE CASTERS. If you are starting to mow an incline turn your caster wheel up hill start uphill and turn into your line. Im not sure if that makes sense. But just think use your caster tires need to use the caster to get on the hill and then when all four wheels are flat you wont dig in and you can turn into your line. The sides of you mower wont dig in if you do this everytime. If you can't uderstand my aweful discription PM me and maybe I could give it another shot...

8. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

with 35 years of using a 52" deck i can assure you it's mostly an operational thing!!

9. Baldwinslawnservice

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to go ahead and rule this one as operator error. I guess I 'll just have to practice. thanks again

10. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

my 52 fixed deck with the flat front also does it. I havea newer advantage that doesnt do it as the wheels are farther out on it. also, i fill the left tires up alittle more than thr right as it scalpes some on my flat nose one.