Scag walk behind tracking changes as it warms up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by B&A lawn care, Jun 2, 2008.

1. B&A lawn care

B&A lawn care LawnSite Member

We have a SCAG SWM61 hydro with a sled load of machine hours that the tracking changes as it warms up. not just a little bit but a lot. The right side slows down more than the left. By the time I move to the next job the right side speeds back up for a while and I have to fool with the tracking all the time so I am not fighting it. Tired of fooling with the tracking and ready to fix. Have read about flow testing on here but our local lawn dealer "shops" are pretty bad. In reading past posts it seems that people talk mostly about pump problems when it comes to equipment that slows down warm and wheel motors are only talked about if leaking. Can a person safely assume that the pumps are what goes if there is no obvious problems with the wheel motors? Or do I need to break down and trust the grease balls at one of the local shops to flow test?
  2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Yes I had a problem like you with a Hustler once and it turned out to be a pump. If worn they don't provide as good a seal when they get warm causing problems.

First I'd just try flushing the hydro fluid. Could just be an air pocket somewhere. If not take it to the shop for testing.

Good luck.
  3. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

If you are using motor oil in the units. It could be moisture in there. As motor oil is made to suck up moisture. Flush and put Universal tractor fluid. If it has a lot of hours go to the thicker one.

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

Will 15w-50 Mobil one work ? Thats what Lazer Z calls for,,,
  5. B&A lawn care

B&A lawn care LawnSite Member

That the proper fluid would be debatable at this point of hydro trans usage just amazes me. Years ago I asked Hydro Gear about using the hydraulic/transmission (AKA universal trans fluid) and they kindly sent me a 25 page answer with 50 reasons to NOT use it in a hydro and to always use motor oil. Funny thing is the original trans/hydraulic fluid was International Harvestor's Hy-tran that was used in the original hydrostatic drives in model 656 tractors, that is where it came from,, hydrostatic transmission development by IHC. If you go to John Deere for oil for your hydro Deere anything you will be sold tractor fluid light grade:confused:

Anyway, yes I just flushed and filled it with new oil and filter and used ?W-50 Mobil regular oil, not synthetic. We dont use the old Scag a lot but have several large open lots where it speeds up mowing considerably over using our 36" Bunton and Exmark walk behinds. Two pumps is lots of money and that with two wheel motors is more than I want to spend on the mower. Just wondered what chances there are that the pumps will fix. Our local shops really do stink, I don't trust any of them. Anybody know what the flow checking guages and valve kits cost?
  6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked one up on SALE last year from this company
    and it was $199.00 for the complete test kit. Don't know if still at this price:confused:

Hard to find on the site had to call and get it ordered but this is the info from my receipt