Scag Walk Behind wont stay down

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Marvelous Gardens, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

I have a Scag 32" walk behind and we had a jungle jim on the back but being that me as well as my crew are all tall it is very uncomfortable, but without it the front end will not stay on the ground. Any suggestions on the weight distribution?

2. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

make some weights and mount them on the front that is what i did with mine. Just take some weighted flat iron or something drill holes on both sides and i used eye bolts to secure them or you can weld them. good luck

3. AWR

AWR LawnSite Member

i,ve had that problem also..the front is way to lite ,so i had a buddy weld steel plates togather a little wider than the front arms that come of the deck and we just hose clamped them on. doesnt help all the time but does most of the time

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Those are very light mowers. Mine would only give me a problem when going uphill or running it too fast over uneven ground, with a weighted deck. A mower that small should only be used for small areas or trim work anyway. Like someone said, weld some steel to the front of the deck.
    Here's my 48 Scag with some deck weights. I bought it used and the guy has a 36 geardrive with the same weights. Tony
    I forgot to mention, my 32 Bob-Cat has weights inside the front deck area. Also, the bolts on the discharge side of the Scag are there for a mulch plate that rarely gets used.

Scag deck weights 001.jpg

Scag deck weights 002.jpg

Scag deck weights 003.jpg

5. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

Thank you for the tips, I was hoping someone manufactured something specificly for this problem. I really did not want to have to weld onto my brand new deck. We use this mower for residential properties.

6. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member