1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brian B, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

a local dealer has a 48" scag walk behind with 110 hours on it. it is a belt drive. can somebody tell me the difference between a belt drive and a hydro drive and which is better. the dealer is selling the mower for $2000. does the scag leave good stripes and does it cut good?
  2. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

This topic has been covered once or twice on this board. Try doing a search on the topic. You might find a little info. on this topic. If nothing comes up, ask again. Jeff
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The belt drives are very good on Scag. We run both belt and hydro. The hydro works real good in small tight situations where you need to back up a lot. The belt drive is a little tricky in that you have to shift the gear lever to back up and the drive is minumal...like most belt drives. I don't stripe but we mulch everything and the unit cuts fine. The Scag units are very reliable and heavy duty.
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto what Ed said^ My 48 Scag is in its 10th season and it is still an excellent machine. It is on its 3rd engine, but the deck has held up great. Still leaves a nice cut. Price doesn't sound too bad.
  5. Brian B

just checking to make sure but this is a zero turn right?
  6. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

What deck? The newer decks are crap!!!!! If it has the advantage deck run away. I have a 36 advantage deck and I am about to take the thing to the dump. Poor cut and you will have to mow 2x just to make it look good. just search under scag and start reading. I would say pass on this one.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have that same mower, It cuts nice and stripes nicely with no stripe kit. Mine is for sale also and has only 60 hours with a single wheel velke for 1800 firm. The onlything I can say bad about it is the pistol grip controls. They may be fine.....just not for me

8. Brian B

so this one is a 2003 so would the deck be good on it or not? it comes with a 2 wheel sulky so i think i am going to go look at it on saturday
  9. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

If it is the classic deck I would say go for it, If has advantage on it skip town. I run a 30 year old 36 scag wb and it does 80% of the work were the 06 scag 36 wb stays on the trailer. The new 36 might be on its way to the selling market with the addition of a newer exmark.
  10. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 16 year old scag belt 52 and a 2 year old hydro exmark 60. I paid 2600 for the exmark with 1075 hours on it. Hydro is way better. I think you can do better on the price. I think a few hundred dollars more can get you a used hydro.