1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MWHC, Dec 28, 1999.

1. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I am looking for opinions on the Scag SWU36 - 48. I am wondering how these mowers compare to a Toro with similar features. I am curious about the floating deck. The Toro mower I use now does not have one so I have trouble with scalping. Any comments are appreciated.

2. jsteveharris

jsteveharris LawnSite Member

I just bought a Scag Ultimate 48 Hydro with the floating deck and it works great. The same yard that scalped horribly with a fixed deck Encore, did not scalp the first time with the deck set at 1.5&quot;.<br>I am very happy with the way it cuts.<p>----------<br>Steve Harris<br>From The Ground Up Landscaping

3. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

MY 48 ULTIMATE CAN CUT CIRCLES AROUND ALL YHE OTHERS! WE WILL STICK TO FLOATING DECKS FROM NOW ON NO SCALPING NO GRABING JUST A GREAT CUT.....SOMTHING ABOUT THE DESIGN OF THE SCAG DECK...NOTHING COMES EVEN CLOSE TO ITS PERFORMANCE....DEERE,GRAVELY,BUNTON,YAZOO THE SCAG DOES THE BEST!

4. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

You don't need a floating deck in most circumstances. Some yes, but not most. <br>SCag leaves a MUCH better cut than Toro.