Scag walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by B&Clawncare, Jun 13, 2012.

1. B&Clawncare

B&Clawncare LawnSite Member

Just curious if people think a 52" scag walk behind (hydro) in pretty good condition for $1500 is a good deal? it has 1600 hours on it. The deck has some paint wear and what not but other than that, its fine. He also has a 36" scag hydro for $1500 also, has a new motor with 200 hours on it.

2. hurrikanelandscaping

hurrikanelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Buying a hydro machine with that many ours always scares the shi* out of me because if a hydro goes bad you screwed in terms of cost of the repair and the down time. On a belt driven machine all you have to worry about is replacing belts/ pulleys which is dirt cheap. As soon as a hydro goes bad the machine is unusable and they are very very expensive to replace.

3. B&Clawncare

I am thinking about just getting the 36" walk behind and not the 52". If the hydros go out, i could be mistaken, but cant they be rebuilt?

4. hurrikanelandscaping

hurrikanelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

You need to go to a special hydro shop to have that done as most small engine shops will just replace em. i work in my local outdoor power equipment dealer as a mechanic and when the hydros go bad we just relpace em. a lot of the times it isnt even cost effective to rebuild anyways.

5. B&Clawncare

if one of the hydro "pulls" harder does that mean the other is going out? or can it be adjusted

6. B&Clawncare

The 52" scag hydro is now $700 and.includes sulky and bag. Needs new starter and one hydro leaks. That's why the price is so low. Its just an o ring on the hydro. Any thoughts?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. leon2245

leon2245 LawnSite Member

Hell yeah! Most them boys back east the river run scag. A Scag'll git-r-dun.

8. 290

290 LawnSite Member

For that price with a new motor i would pick it up, learn how to rebuild pumps and to the work in the off season.

Here is a video on how to rebuild one. Its not hard and you get to see how these things work inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCVxU_UjzK4

9. 290

290 LawnSite Member

10. 290

290 LawnSite Member