1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yardman124, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Yardman124

Yardman124 LawnSite Member
    from FL

I am wordering if any Scag owners have replaced the 6 threaded bolts on the deck adjustment with pins for quick adjustment ?
  2. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

Just got a Scag and saw those bolts and thought that it would be a good idea to modify. What type of pins did you have in mind? I know a few people that run metal shops and I was going to have them make me some heavy duty stainless steel pins and possibley a braket.

3. Yardman124

Yardman124 LawnSite Member
    from FL

Well the EX Mark has bolts that are not threaded but have a place for a bin in the end of them to keep them from sliding back through. I know that there a name for this type of bolt it just hasn't come to me yet ! You know like the type of bolt that you use to put your reciever on your truck hitch. It should be something that you would be able to find at a hardware store.
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the bolts out, put the deck on the highest adjustment, put the bolts back in, and leave it there. Your blades will last longer, your lawns will look better, and you will hit on less rocks that want to throw you over the handlebars at high speed. Just my opinion, I did it two years ago, and don't plan to move it down.
  5. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Well gentleman, I am with Crawdad on this one. I just put my SCAG WB on the highest setting on the back and leave it there. Its such a PITA to adjust in the back, I dont ever bother with it. And plus the pins seem like they wouldnt be as sturdy....