Scag WB Cutting Height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Marvelous Gardens, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

I have a 32" Scag WB and we mostly cut St. Augustine, and some of our clients yards are really thick (not tall) and I was just wondering what settings any of you guys have yours set on? Like the front spacers, the deck spacers, and the three main adjustments on the deck?
    Thanks

2. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

My limited experience with new Scag 36 WB .... Tall nasty grass cuts best with blades spaced closest to bottom of deck.... and the baffle almost to the top setting, meaning highest of the ground. And of course the blades 1/8th or so down in front. Not cutting what you are... but seems to work here for what I cut that is tall and nasty.

3. Marvelous Gardens

Where do you have the the deck set, out of the three adjustments?

4. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

If you mean the bolts where the main engine and drive unit connects to the cutting deck..... it would be in the set of holes to keep the deck height up. I do not have it set there for what I am cutting now. I keep it in the center holes. It is a pain to change this so I have pretty much dedicated this mower to my shorter cut properties. I like the mower.... just not real user friendly in this respect. Hope this makes sense for how I am describing it.

As I say for the grass here it works fine, maybe not for you there.

5. Marvelous Gardens

Miner are set in the middle to I think I will move them to the top and also raise my blades up.

Thanks

6. Marvelous Gardens

7. BanksPower

BanksPower LawnSite Member

I personally never liked the spacer design for the deck.

Scag makes the Ultimate deck which allows you to change the deck height. I think they are even making it easier for the newer models. I have a 48" SWZU that has over 4500hrs and love it! I am a owner operator so that helps.

Good luck!

Jacob

8. Marvelous Gardens

Hey it was nice meeting you today, I am going to go ahead and try to sale this thing and upgrade. Keep in touch through this forum, or if you ever need anything dont hesitate to give me a call.