Scag WB + Grass Catcher = Unpleasant!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wouldy12, May 24, 2006.

1. wouldy12

wouldy12 LawnSite Member
    from MA

This is my first post to this site but have been lurking for a while - great group of guys here and lot of info.

Based on some of the opinions found here I bought a used 2005 Scag 36" belt drive with the advantage deck. It came with a steel grass catcher and high lift blades but up until yesterday I had only used the mulch plate and scag mulch blades. So yesterday I tried out the catcher and all I can say what a poor design! The whole time I was using it I had small grass clippings blowing in my face! I couldn't't really tell if it was because the catcher is made of perforated steel or if it was because the exhaust blows right on the catcher (this would be my guess as to the cause.) By the time I was done the mower and myself were covered in grass clippings.

My question would be is this normal? Has anyone redirected the exhaust or maybe put something over the side of the catcher to keep the exhaust from blowing the clippings out of the catcher?

Thanks for any help!

2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

The catcher you desribe sounds like a Grassgobbler or Accelerator. Both are quality units but you will have some degree of blow through, because of the perforations. I have the Accelerator brand on both my wb and "Z".They both make a dust cover for them, but I've not had that big of a problem with grass or leaves. Be sure the mounting hardware is/was installed correctly. You could be getting discharge blowing off the bagger intake instead of it going into the bag.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

The Captain

3. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I have the perforated one on a Scag WB and it blows the dust thru the holes but not the degree you have. I also have a Scag bagger, cloth bag, and it doesn't have as much dust blowing thru. The metal catcher packs the clippings tighter than the cloth bag so there are pro's and con's to each. Matt

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is because of the mulch blades. Try the high lift blades, or regular and see if that doesn't make a difference.

5. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

i use the grass gobbler and make sure the brackets are on good and you will get a decent amount of grass blowing through if its a very dry and dirty lawn.... most lawns i am far from covered butthe dirty ones theres nothing to do about it

6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i use the grass gobbler on my scags, your right they do blow grass out or dust, one thing i noticed on mine was that the latch that held the door (lets call it that) was not holding it tight so i moved it to a a diff. hole. also see if there are any gaps between the (door) and the bagger, you can bend it to make it seal better. mine still makes dust, every bagger will but the grass doesn't blow out as much anymore. also, i know most of you will disagree with me but i found that if you use gator blades with the grass gobbler it packs the clippings in better..

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Gobbler on a w/b mower and sometimes have some dust. However, it is never much of a problem, certainly much less of a problem than discharge on a breezy day. I consider the blowout from the Gobbler pretty trivial in the big scheme of things -- many more grass clippings thrown around when emptying it, unloading, etc.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

These add on catcher have to pass some air through or they would blow up like a balloon, I guess? My bagging walker will make you real dirty when everything is dry. It is the fine dust that gets past the screen and is directed out the back..

9. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

got a rackem catcher on my ztr, and have no real problems w/ blow through only when i would unlatch the back panel to check if it was full, would get of facefull of clippings. ive learned since then, lol.

10. wouldy12

wouldy12 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Thanks for all the feedback. I used it again last night and I'm still trying to get all the grass and dust off of me :confused: I would have to conclude that if Accelerator makes dust covers for theirs, I'm not the only one who has this problem. I still have to think the exhaust blowing on the side of the bagger must be exaggerating the problem. I think I'm going to try putting a thin sheet of metal over the left side of the catcher where the exhaust is directed to see if it helps any. I'll let you guys know if it helps or not.