Scag WB Hydro Users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scraper, Jun 22, 2000.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I just took my new Scag in for adjustments and because I was having switch problems and lack of power on inclines when using a sulky. Well they fixed the switch problems that others here have seem to be having as well as told me that Scag has been having slipping problems with their hydro WBs resulting in less power on hills when using a sulky. It turns out that Scag has come out with a fix to the problem and that it requires a spring to be added that my dealer said only takes 20 minutes to do. They are waiting for the part to come in so I have to take the machine back in again...arggghhhh!, but I'll let you know how it works out.

2. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

WHICH YEAR/MODEL(SIZE CUT, MAKE AND HP ENGINE) DO YOU HAVE? I'M HAVING A SIMULAR TYPE PROBLEM W/ THE INCLINE SITUATION.

3. Gunner

Gunner LawnSite Member

Scraper, what kind of Scag do you have and what did the dealer do to fix the switch problem? Please see my post outlining the problems I'm having with my Scag. Thanks.

4. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

The spring could only be for a tensioner pulley on the hydro belt. You could try a stronger spring and/or a new belt. Either way, the belt you have is slipping. You see, even on a hydro unit there is a belt that is going from the crank shaft to the hydro motor and if it slips then it needs some more tension put on it or replacement.<p>If you get down and put your face under the frame looking up, you'll see what's going on.

5. Scraper

OSC...Close on the belt idea, but actually it is the springs. Supposedly when the hydro is under extreme pressure like on an ncline the naturally tendency is for the fluid to go the path of least resistance which means back to neutral. What they did was put new springs on both sides. Heavier springs. The unit pulls me up hills with power now! Granted...it is a little bit tougher to squeeze the grips, but big forearms help for fall cleanups. The belt had nothing to do with it at least in my case. My first thought was the belt as well as needing additional fluid, but these springs did the trick! My Scag is the 2000 52&quot; with the 17hp Kawi and Advantage deck. <p>As for the switches...I shouldn't have spoken so fast as I went out in the field on Friday after it was supposedly fixed to end up having more problems! When I took off the parking brake the machine would shut down. Needless to say I had 10 to cut and I wasn't taking it back at that point as the dealer was 30 miles away so I called and ended up cutting the wire which overrode the entire safety switch wiring harness. Not a smart thing to do, but I had to get the lawns done. Took the machine back and now it seems to be working. The mechanic that did the work said there was a rubber bootswitch that needed to be popped...gets me...when it comes to electrical systems I'm all thumbs. Excvept for cutting that wire...felt like I was defusing a bomb. Cut the wire and prayed for the best.

6. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

Scraper,<br>Do you have the part # for the spring(s) that dealer installed for you? My dealer /service tech. doesn't seem to understand what I'm talking about. Thanks,<br> SKDCO

7. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Ah, springs on the triggers, yes that would do it as well.

8. Scraper

SKDCO...actually no I don't have the part number...I will try and call today, but if I don't get back to you, call my shop...they have a toll-free number...800/315-2966...it's called Suburban Lawn & Equipment and the mechanic who did it for me was named Glenn....hope this helps!!! Let me know if they help you out. They are great guys there! To add to my last post...you won't believe the power it has in reverse now as well!!! Not that you should be going backwards all that much, but when you have to faster is better. :)

9. Scraper

SKDCO<p>Haven't heard from you and was wondering whther you got the part? Sure makes the hands hurt with the bigger spring, but at least you can ride. :)

10. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

SCRAPER ;<p> I haven't had the time to call, been real busy because it has been raining in this part of the country.I will probably call your guy Wednesday am. Wondering if you are going to EXPO. I decided to go after hotel registration date so got a room at the Radisson for $60 per night thru priceline.com.If so let me know