Scag WB problem (electrical)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gringocl, Jul 23, 2003.

1. gringocl

gringocl LawnSite Member

I read through the other posts on problems with the scags and its clutch. I have a 36" belt driven scag with a kohler cv14. The clutch won't engage when you flip the switch. First we thought the connectors were bad and the switch, so we purchased a new switch and with the fiddiling of some wires by my brother (scag owner) things worked, then the day after it disengaged. So we went through everything again and checked the clutch, it works, checked for voltage, good there too, Regulator rectifier, is ok, bought a new stator and that didn't change anything. Now the interesting thing is that we plug a booster pack to jump start a car with, right where the regulator goes and the clutch will engage and it works like normal. We are stuck and had this thing down almost a month. If any of you guys have some insight it would be most appreciated. BTW nice job on the forum. Its a most useful resource.

2. desert_dweller

desert_dweller LawnSite Member

Sounds to me like you may have a bad switch. If you have power going to the switch, and nothing comming out then the switch is bad. I have seen "new" bad switches before. If you do have power on both sides of the switch when it is engaged I would look towards maybe the clutch failing and requiring more power to engage properly. You may have a bearing gone bad or something in the clutch. The jump box puts out far more amps then your battery or stator so that would explain why it worked that way. Try testing the load on the battery with a voltage meter while the machine is running. Set the switch to AC volts and touch the terminals to the battery. I think it should read somewhere around 33 volts A/C. Then engage the clutch and see what happens. It shouldn't drop more then a few volts if it does your clutch may need replaced. You can also do this test without the engine running but the volts will read lower and I'm not sure what those numbers would be. I hope some of this helps, Good Luck !!

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Check every wire in the harness, each connector, plug, terminal. Could be bad or loose connection.
    Use dielectric grease in/at every plug & connection.
    Might want to try larger gauge wires, one at a time.

Please keep posting on the subject, would like to know outcome.

4. gringocl

gringocl LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great input, hopefully this weekend, we can get some time to do all of your recomendations. Been too busy this week with everything and trying to get our walker back to health, fuel pump was leaking gas into the oil, plus the carb had to be rebuilt, lots of fun, I'll post how it goes with the scag, thanks again,

5. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that if your clutch is adjusted out too far it won't engage. Check your owners manual for the gap setting.

On (around) the clutch are three slots. Insert the feeler and tighten to specs. This may be the problem. I had the same symptoms and the adjustment cured it. Seemed like a bad switch, but it wasn't.