1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag: What's the catch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfproinc, Feb 10, 2003.

1. turfproinc

turfproinc LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to buy my mowers and Scag looks awful good compared to other brands, and for 2-3K less. So what's the catch? I read LOTS of positive comments here. Can ya'll reassure me one last time that Scag is the way to go? Or am I being duped and need to look elsewhere?
  2. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

What equipment in particular are you looking at, their walk behinds, ztr's etc?
  3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Where is a Scag dealer around here? I don't know much about them and I've only seen Horticare with one. GO HOGS!!!
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That's a switch...Scag has never been cheap. They're usually apples for apples more expensive then the other manufacturers.
  5. turfproinc

turfproinc LawnSite Member

Hmmm, maybe my info was incorrect then. I better call dude back and have him re-check his numbers (on 48"walk-behind and ZTR).

FYI IB, The Hardware Store in Fayetteville carries Scag.
  6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

D@%n I'm in Little Rock, that sure would be a drive for some belts.
  7. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to check with the dealer again. Around here Scag is way higher than most.
  8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Scag does have a 48" 19hp ZTR right now at a very good price. They introduced it to compete with the cheep Exmart.

This Scag has all the same pumps etc. as the Turf Tiger and Tiger Cub.

For those of you who haven't followed Scag let me tell you about 10 years ago the industry standard was a 48" 18 hp unit. They were excellent even with the Koler engine. This unit has the Kawaski on it. The blokc looks to me as the same block as the 23hp. I have the Turf Tiger and love it. Mine is the water cooled Kawaski but am looking at the 48" as a back up. IMO Scag is the toughest mower on the market and I have at least one since 1986 and as many as ten running ten hour days.

There is no catch except it is the 48" deck. I think a good buy.
  9. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Would that Exmart be a Walmart mower.LOL
  10. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

would 19 hp be enough for the 48" Scag Tiger Cub.