Scag Wheel Fell Off, $226.27 To Fix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FatherandSon, Sep 8, 2003.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

My son said he noticed a vibration in his 2002 Scag Turf Tiger 60". As he drove away I noticed the left rear wheel was wobbling. Found that all the lug nuts were loose and had ruined the wheel holes. We faithfully check all nuts and bolts, including lugs, every 100 hours.

As the machine was only 1 year and 4 months old took it to dealer who replaced the wheel and said he would turn the bill into Scag for Warranty payment. Got the bill this past week for $226.72 from dealer stating "Submitted warranty to Scag but did not pay due out of warranty by 5 months". Was under the impression the warranty was for 2 years. Contacted Scag but have heard nothing yet.

Has anyone else had the problem with either of their drive wheels on a Scag?

Will let you know how Scag responds to my warranty question.

Don Montross, Sr.

2. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

The first year covers both parts and labor. The second year covers defective parts costs. See your Scag dealer for details.

Were the nuts loose or did the wheel motors give out? Sounds like someone did you the unfortunate dis favor of loosening the lugs. Sorry for your luck, but never heard of that problem.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Ummm.....

Hate to sound negative, but after a year and 4 months lug nuts don't just "loosen up". Something made them loose. And it wasn't the SCAG factory. They delivered a mower to you free from defects in materials and workmanship.

This is like trying to get warranty on your blades because they got dull. :eek:

BTW, you got robbed if all that was wrong was a wheel and they charged you $226.

Heck you can get TWO complete wheel and tire setups for $200.

Something smells fishy.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

How would all the lug nuts just loosen up by themselves? They don't, someone did it for you or you are not telling the whole story.

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think I had the same thing happen to my Scag WB. If you take the wheel off, you have access to 4 bolts which hold the hydro pump to the wheel. This is what loosened on mine and caused the wheel to wobble. I highly doubt it was vandalism, as these bolts are impossible to reach. By the time I saw the wheel wobble, the bolts stripped the holes and I had to have them re threaded. Was a PITA, but had a machine shop friend of mine do it for me. It was a big hassle. Machine was about 4 years old.

6. FatherandSon

Sorry but NO I am not making up a story. Ken H., you made me feel better knowing it happened to someone else. We are finatics with our equipment and check all bolts every 100 hours. No vandalism involved, have a 110 lb German Shepherd and a 40 cal 15 shot glock guarding the trailer and shed (Retired Chief of Police). Sorry but I also talked to another LCO who had the exact same problem with his Turf Tiger..... However Scag covered it under warranty.Haven't heard back from Scag yet will just have to see what they say. I don't mind paying the labor but the parts are a little tough to swallow at that price.

7. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

And what would bring you to that conclusion???
    I have had many bolts "loosen up" on me over the years.

It happens man.......... Probably not Scags vault though.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

FatherandSon,

Nobody said you were "Making up a story"

But KenH's situation is TOTALLY different than what you describe, so the same thing didn't happen to him.

What your saying is that all 4 Lug nuts loosened enough to allow the wheel to wobble on the axle ? This caused damage to the wheels mounting holes.? And the dealer charged you $226 for a new left rear wheel.? Right?

What KenH is talking about (I think) are wheel motor mounting bolts loosening, causing the entire wheel motor to wobble in the frame.

Two different situations. Neither good.

Also, Pinnacle, in my 23 years in the industry, after the proper run in period, you have to RE-Torque the lug nuts or lug bolts (depending on the application) to the proper torque. After that it is usually a non maintenance item, and should never need to be addressed further.

In any event, this should NOT be covered under warranty by SCAG. They didn't LOOSEN the lugnuts, and therefore are not responsible. Now if the studs broke, or the wheel cracked, causing your end result, then YES that could be considered under warranty.

9. FatherandSon

TLS , I really did not want to get into a "Peeing" contest on this issue was just checking to see if other users had a similar problem. Did not mean to offend you or your knowledge. However, after break in we of course tightened all lugs. I guess I am just an idealist that thinks when you spend $8,000. for a machine the wheel should not fall off 14 months later and have to pay for a new wheel at that amount.

By the way the studs were all stripped I am not sure if that was caused by the loose wheel or something else. Have driven a car/truck for 40 years now and never had a wheel loosen.......

Anyway thanks for your interest in my post.... Just thought I would check with others to see if they had this problem and if SCAG tried to rip them off too.

10. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta agree with TLS..... if you check the lugs, you know that they were tight, not only from the factory, but they stayed that way for over a year. If they are loose at this point, I dont think you (or I, or anyone else) could blame Scag.
    Should it happen? Probably not.
    Is it your fault? Probably (most likely) not.
    Is it Scag's fault? Probably not.
    Does it suck? Yep....Sometimes S--t happens. Sorry it happened to you.

I do think that the dealer may be a little high in his bill to you..... go and talk to him........ just because Scag won't stand behind it, doesn't mean he can' t try to help you out.

BTW.... did you get the old parts back, to be sure all that was replaced needed to be?

Good Luck.. Let us know what else develops.