Scag wheel weights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSJ, May 8, 2002.

1. GSJ

GSJ LawnSite Member

I'm having traction problems with a scag turf tiger. Does anyone
    know of an aftermarket supplier of wheel weights for this machine. My dealer says scag doesn't offer these and due to
    time constraints I don't want to try to retro-fit something not
    made specifically for this machine. Thanks for your help.

2. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I haven't heard of wheel weight being used on commercial mowers. they are primarily used on tractors where turf damage isn't a concern. what kind of mower do you have? Hydro walkbehinds generally have better traction because of their larger tires. You could try airing down your tires a little, or switching to a different tread patern.

3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I run about 11 to 12 psi on the back tires of my turf tiger and have no traction problems. I know for a while scag was putting some small tires on the early models of turf tigers.

4. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52inch Turf Tiger, and the tires they put on them are the 10.5-12 by 23inch. These tires on the 52inch are the smaller tires, they put these tires on the first models when the turf tiger came out back in 97. Then like a couple years ago they put the big 24inch Turf Master tires on the 61inch decks and bigger.
    My suggestion is to maybe try a different tire setup, buy some better traction tires maybe?? Maybe the kind that are on the Dixie Chopper, ive heard those grip really well.
    Though ive had no traction problems at all with the 23inch tires on my 52inch Turf Tiger. I know Scag makes weights for the bagging system over the front wheels, but i know you dont want to retrofit something but you could maybe retro-fit those to be put on the backend. But as for wheel weights on a Turf Tiger never heard of it.
    Good Luck with your search
    Matt(lawnman)